Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

G.711 and G.729a

Have centralized Call Manager and Unity - Voice Mail only. Running G.711 locally, but have remote site with G.729 across the WAN.

Am I stuck with having to transcode somehow to the remote handsets (if so what is the best way) or can Unity run G.711 locally and G.729 for remote handsets?

Users may need access from either central or remote site.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: G.711 and G.729a

if you have the g729a codec installed on the Unity server (it's not by default) Unity will transoce from 711 to 729a or vice versa on the fly based on what the connection requested. There are other ways to do this via hardware transcoding but that's a little out of my territory - I'll let someone else expand on that if they wish.

to install the G729a codec on Unity, run the sl_g729a_setup.exe application under the \commserver\utilities directory.

If this is 3.1(1) or later - Unity is setup to transcode on the fly already - earlier versions of Unity/TSP wont configure that, you have to go in and hack the registry yourself. If you're running an earlier version, let me know and I'll dig up the registry setting.

Gold

Re: G.711 and G.729a

An additional piece of information:

Locations based dialing does not take into account transcoders when calculating bandwidth. With current CallManager versions, the bandwidth will always be deducted at 80k.

This is not a defect, rather a feature request. DDTS: CSCdr80638

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content