Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

g.729 issues

I have a customer with 9 remote sites. The are running CCM3.1.2c Unity 2.4.6.135 TSP 3.0.2<br><br>Currently each site has its own device pool. Within each region they communicate g.711 between each g.729.<br><br>For many of the remote site we have setup Auto Attendants in unity giving the users a series of options and letting dial a extension if they know it. At the remote sites we have implemented Extension mobility. (phones are call fwd to voice mail on busy and no answer)<br><br>The problem we are having is if someone calling in dials a number from the auto attendant in unity to a phone that is not logged in they do not hear the persons greeting but do hear the message that follows. <br><br>What I believe is happening:<br> A call comes in a gateway at a remote location it is directed to a call handler in unity and because of the regions, the call is g.729. If the dial some ones extension that is not logged in the call is transferred from one unity port to another unity port. Both ports are in the same region and that leg is setup g.711 and then connected to a gateway using g.729. The caller hears dead air until the greeting is done and message record time is finished. If it forwards to an auto attendant instead of a voice mail box the call hears dead are until the call handler repeats the message. I think unity starts playing the greeting g.711 because the call started that way and when it repeats it plays g.729 because upon final setup of the transferred call it is g.729.<br><br>Does this sound correct?<br>Is the easiest thing for me to do, set unity ports such that they always talk g729 and what is the best way to do this?<br><br><br><br><br>

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: g.729 issues

There is no way in Unity to say, "only use g729". Enabling g729 in Unity is in addition to g711. Making Unity a g729 only system would require configuration on Call Manager.

Tell me if I have this correct: a "remote" caller calls "local" Unity and tries to transfer to another "remote" AND unavailable extension mobility user. Is that right? Or is the "remote" caller just some one on the PSTN side of a GW. I guess it doesn't really matter.

After the remote caller is attempt-transferred to the unavailable extension mobility user, the greeting for that user has played and the record time has finished, what happens? Are they hung up on? Do they ever hear anything? I'm tempted to believe that something went wrong with the transfer. What type of transfer is that subsriber set for?

Has the default record format of Unity been changed from g711?

You had mentioned, "If it forwards to an auto attendant instead of a voice mail box the call hears dead are until the call handler repeats the message"

This was after transferring to an extension? How did the call get back to the opening greeting instead of a subscriber box? Transfer to an extension that isn't a subscriber? Just curious.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Re: g.729 issues

Transfer is to a logged out extension mobility user.
after the caller hears dead air for the duration of the mailbox greeting and record time it drops out to the system greeting.

There is one auto attendant that they needed manual control over one of the options. For that I transferred to a dummy phone that was busy and no answer to voice mail, Then they could login to a ccmuser page and send calls to an answer service when the last person left. In this scenario a caller would come into the auto atten from a remote gateway hear the first set of options hit option 2, under normal conditions the call would go to the dummy phone that forwards it back to another menu tree. The first call handler was to repeat twice they would hear dead air for the duration of the message once, the second time the caller could hear it. I worked around this by putting a call hander in front with a very short greeting of dead air.

Last night I added a device pool for unity and set it to g729 everywhere and in between its ports. Loaded the g729 quite prompts and set it to g729 for record. After that every thing worked great. And I was able to get rid of the dear air call handler in front of the second menu.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content