Views
Helpful
Replies

gatekeeper

teltac
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following VoIP Scenario:

Remote AS5300s or any other H.323 Gateways are connected through Internet to my AS5300 (equipped with two vfc cards and a quad card E1) connected to PSTN and calls are originated from remote H323 gateways to my AS5300.

I want to add a gatekeeper to my network , so I prepare a 7200 VXR series route equipped with eight ethernet port card(available in my stock) to be the gatekeeper , this router will be placed near my AS5300 gateway.

First question:

I am asking if it is possible for the local AS5300( which is my AS5300) and the remote H323 gateways (spread around the Internet) to be all registered with the gatekeeper in one local zone ,in other way is it possible to create one local zone on the gatekeeper and put all my gateways ( local and remote) in this zone and then have my local AS5300 gateway registered with the gatekeeper using different tech-prefic to distinguish the remote gateways ?

Second question:

Could I use the 7200 VXR series as a gatekeeper and an ip gateway( between my local network and Internet ) at the same time ?

please reply on this e-mail : jacob@teltac.com

13 Replies 13

ezequiel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jacob, you can register all your gateways (local and remotes) with the gatekeeper usign the same zone. Also you can use different prefixes for your locations. The 7200 VXR is a very big router to use as gatekeeper, for your requeriments only with a 26xx series is good. Remember that a gatekeeper only manage signaling traffic between gateways and not the media traffic of your calls.

Regards

Ezequiel Colombo

[Argentina]

thnx ,

do you have a sample config that describes my scenario ( intrazone communication : mutliple gateways in a single local zone managed by a gatekeeper).

Regards

Jacob.

This config make registration of your gateways into the gatekeeper with zone ZONEX and dinamically register the prefixes of each gateway on the gatekeeper. If for any reason one gateway lost connection to the gatekeeper the prefixes associated with this gateways are automatically cleaned on the gatekeeper. Later you must make the dial-peers with session target ras in each gateway to route the calls !

GWA:

interface fastethernet 0

h323-gateway voip interface

h323-gateway voip id ZONEX ipaddr gk.ip.addr 1718

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 123#5411

!

GWB:

interface fastethernet 0

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 456#54223

!

GWC:

interface fastethernet 0

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 789#54341

!

GK:

gatekeeper

zone local ZONEX domain.com

no shutdown

!

gk#show gatekeeper gw-type-prefix

Prefix: 123#5411*

zone ZONEX master gateway list:

ip.of.GWA:1720 hostname

Prefix: 546#54223*

ip.of.GWB:1720 hostname

Prefix: 789#54341*

ip.of.GWC:1720 hostname

Regards

Ezequiel Colombo

[Argentina]

thnx a lot for your fast reply ,

just a simple clarification : assuming that GWA and GWB would communicate only with GWC( no communication between GWA and GWB) and in order to distinguish traffic coming from GWA and GWB, GWC should be registered with two different prefixes, is it true this statement AND IS IT POSSIBLE ?

another point, if i use a cisco 26xx series router as a gatekeeper , is it possible also to use this same router as an IP gateway( gateway for my Internet traffic and all traffic that is not destined to my local network)?

Regards,

Jacob.

Yes ! GWC can register more than one prefix, see:

GWC:

interface fastethernet 0

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 789#54341

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 987#54341

!

dial-peer voice 789789 pots

destination-pattern 789#54341T

direct-inward-dial

port 0:0

!

dial-peer voice 987987 pots

destination-pattern 987#54341T

direct-inward-dial

port 0:0

!

About the capabilities to act as router and gatekeeper in the same IOS, i think that this is possible, but i are not secure. (Moderators opinion ???).

Check the features of your gk IOS version.

Ezequiel Colombo

[Argentina]

i am very grateful for your useful clarification .

regarding IOS, assuming that it is the latest cisco ios version ip plus feature( we can chang e it to an ios that integrates encryption and other security features) , what do you mean by "not secure " ,which point of security is involved ?

Regards ,

Jacob.

ah sorry Jacob, my english is very bad.

"I am not secure of this"

Spanish: "No estoy seguro de esto"

I are not speaking of "network security"

thanks

don't worry

who should i ask about this issue ? because it is critical to me to know before implementation.

thnx.

Hi Ezequiel

I saw your posts and thought you could also help me. i want to ask a question related to this scenario.

1-What is the use of this tech-prefix command ?? as far as i studied it is for the reliable registation of the GW with GK . Is it necessary to use in the dial-peer POTS also ??

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/voip/gk-call-routing.html

Hi, the command tech-prefix when used as "h323-gateway voip tech-prefix WORD" dinamically register the WORD prefix in the gatekeeper associated with this gateway. When the gateway first register with the gatekeeper it advertise this configured prefixes so that the gatekeeper associate this prefixes with the gateway, in futures answers to the gatekeeper about the prefix the gatekeeper respond that this prefix is located in the gateway. This is good to simplify static configuration needed in the gatekeeper like "gw-type-prefix WORD gw ipaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1720".

Now, tech-prefix also exist in the dial-peer voip configuration but this is to append the WORD to the dialed number matched for this peer when send the call to the target.

Regards

Ezequiel Colombo

[Argentina]

Thanks a lot Ezequiel. I have a case study for you to answer if you could. I am opening a new conversation with "Gateway/Gatekeeper optimal config". i dont want to disturb this converstion. Waiting for your answer in that.

i am not able to find this new conversation" Gateway/Gatekeeper optimal config", Please advise within which menu in the "networking professionals connection" this conversation is occurrring ?

Regards

Jacob.

I am sorry i couldn't post it yesterday. Please find it in Open Voice Application with the same heading. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: