Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Gateway for IP Telephony ????

HI ,

Need to know the basic requirement for designing a router as a gateway to the PSTN. I need only 30 PRI lines ie E1

No analog lines on the router. Can a cisco 1721 router with ip plus software and VWIC-1MFT-E1 support my requirements OR do I need a 1751-V or 1760-V router with the VWIC -1MFT-E1 and the PVDM-256-20HD ???? Confused whether i need the PVDM module ......

The router will be the gateway to the PSTN network for my IP telephony LAN network.

Thanks

Rgds

Renzil

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Gateway for IP Telephony ????

!721 is not voice capable, so you are out of luck here !

The PVDM is a small circuit board that contains the DSP's (Digital Signal Processors) - these are used to compress and packetise the voice traffic. You need them to run voice.

To handle a full E1's worth of voice calls with G711 or G729 codec you would need a 1751 or 1760 router with IP Plus software and a PVDM-256-20HD. This particular PVDM has 5 DSP's that support 6 calls per DSP when running a G711 or G729 codec , refer here for more information -

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/products/1750-vic-issues.html

Views
Helpful
Replies