Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway VoIP / PSTN

melakkaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

to provide a VoIP / PSTN acces with 15 channels, should I use a VWIC-1MFT-E1 or NM-HDV-1E1-30 on a 2600 router ?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

2 Replies 2

d-g-c
Level 1
Level 1

In the UK I use the VWIC-1MFT-E1= to create H323 2600 gateways connecting to the PSTN using an ISDN30 service using an I.421 (RJ45) connection to the VWIC.

Your 2600 will also need a 30 Channel Voice/Fax AIM module - AIM-VOICE-30 and appropriate version of IOS.

I think the VWIC is now preferred over the NM, all my VWICS are in 2600XM's.

c-charlebois
Level 3
Level 3

The two serve different purposes. In fact, then NM-HDV-1E1-30 is just a bundling including a NM-HDV module and a VWIC-1MFT-E1.

The VWIC-1MFT-E1 is the access mechanism. It allows the DSP resources to access the channels on the media. The VWIC is just about the only device you can put in a router that will allow that, so either way, you'll need that.

The NM-HDV is what houses the DSP's. The DSP actually packetize and de-packetize the channels and allow the whole VoIP thing to work. However, there is another option here. There is the AIM-Voice-30 module on 2600, 3600, and 3700 series routers. Also, 1751 and 1760 routers have slots for DSP modules (called PVDM, the same modules on the NM-HDV) directly on the mainboard of the router. Both of these alternate solutions allow a VWIC to terminate voice channels in a WIC slot.

Now, as to which to use? That depends. If you need the NM slot on a 2600 series, then you would need the AIM card. If not, *I* would stick with the NM-HDV, simply because I'm more familiar with it and it's been around longer. The AIM module is still fairly new. Another thing to consider is that the NM-HDV can be installed with only enough PVDM's to support the channels you need, but can still be upgraded to support up to 2 E1's. The AIM-Voice-30 supports 30 channels out of the box and cannot be upgraded.

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: