Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateways/Trunks, Route Groups, and Route Patterns

I'm taking a CIPT class and I noticed something that my rookie instructor doesn't have an answer to. We noticed that if we add a gateway or trunk to a route group, that gateway or trunk is no longer available for use in route patterns.

Why can't a trunk or gateway be in a route group and a route pattern at the same time? Maybe I want to send certain calls down a specific trunk that just happens to be part of a route group being used for some other purpose. Why is that not allowed?

Thanks!

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Gateways/Trunks, Route Groups, and Route Patterns

The gateway can be in any number of route groups.

The limitation you are thinking of is regarding Route Patterns.

gpulos was close. once assigned to a Group, the GW doesn't appear as a single GW in the Route Pattern config. So he's right that once you place the GW in a Route Group, you have to use a Route List to send the call to that gateway. However, Route Groups aren't assigned to Route Patterns. You can only assign Route Lists or Gateways to Route Patterns. And once you assign a Gateway to a Route Pattern, you cannot use any other gateways to handle that dialed number. So if the single gateway specified is down, the call will fail. No redundancy.

A generally good habit is to create unique route groups for each gateway, or group of functionally equivalent gateways. Place the RG in Route Lists, and try to use only Route Lists on your Route Patterns. This will allow you to configure redundancy/failover, TEHO, VoIP then PSTN, etc.

HTH,

Michael

PS. Don't forget to rate the posts.

3 REPLIES
Blue

what you'll need to do is to create a new routeGroup with the specific gateway/device you want to use for that routePattern.

then apply it to the routePattern.

this would be the same as just grabbing the GW but since you've already placed it in a RG, it will not be available as an individual GW in RP selection; hence the need to create another RG for the one GW/RP in need.

I didn't get a chance to try this in class today and the class is over. I'd swear I remember reading that a gateway can't be in two different route groups. Is that not true?

The gateway can be in any number of route groups.

The limitation you are thinking of is regarding Route Patterns.

gpulos was close. once assigned to a Group, the GW doesn't appear as a single GW in the Route Pattern config. So he's right that once you place the GW in a Route Group, you have to use a Route List to send the call to that gateway. However, Route Groups aren't assigned to Route Patterns. You can only assign Route Lists or Gateways to Route Patterns. And once you assign a Gateway to a Route Pattern, you cannot use any other gateways to handle that dialed number. So if the single gateway specified is down, the call will fail. No redundancy.

A generally good habit is to create unique route groups for each gateway, or group of functionally equivalent gateways. Place the RG in Route Lists, and try to use only Route Lists on your Route Patterns. This will allow you to configure redundancy/failover, TEHO, VoIP then PSTN, etc.

HTH,

Michael

PS. Don't forget to rate the posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content