Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

General Setup of VoIP Services

Hello everyone

I want to start off by letting you know I am pretty new to VoIP. I have been a network admin for a while, but am new in the VoIP side. Given that, my company inherited a 1760-v router running CME 4.0 and they have asked me to set this up for VoIP service on our internal network so that we can get rid of the legacy phone system. I have a number of questions that I was hoping I might be able to get answered here.

1. We have 8 POTS lines coming in from our telco provider for the phone system. Can I purchase 2 of the VIC2-4FXO cards and put them in the 1760-V to enable dialing out to the PSTN for internal clients trying to call outside lines? Am trying to figure a way to not have to purchase a PRI since it is about 600.00 more a month than the POTS lines.

2.Has anyone connected CME 4.0 to an ESI PBX for voice mail? Am trying to figure out how to configure a Unity server, but would like to see if we can use the existing PBX for voicemail, call attendant, etc since it still works fine.

Any help the community can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

10 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: General Setup of VoIP Services

1. Yes, you can use the analog lines with FXO. But renouncing to PRI is like doing things half-way. Many things become very complicated or impossible to do without it. If you can't afford full PRI, ask for a reduced number of channels, or ISDN BRI.

2. Suggest you use CUE for voice mail. It exists in the form of a module (AIM) that goes inside the router. It's swifty, powerful really not expensive. It also does a great AA with business schedule and a bunch of other things. That would save you potential frustration in trying to interface the legacy VM. Leave this kind of things to people that does that for a living :)

Be welcome to send any question you may have. Differently from other Q's here, yours are definite and well explained.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

P

Thanks for your responses with this question. I will check on the ISDN BRI's to see if those are available and are cheaper. I agree with you about the POTS lines, but due to the huge price difference, it is hard to justify to my management.

In terms of the CUE AIM module, I was trying to find one that would fit in the 1760-v, but they are only for the ISR line of routers. I am trying to talk to my manager about getting one of these, and ship the 1760-v to one of our remote site, but it is a hard sale right now. Do you know if there is a CUE option for the 1760-v? I could not find anything that talked about this for the 1760's.

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi,

If you got quoted for a 23-channels PRI, of course the difference is large. Telco doesn't like to provision "partial pri", but when "motivated to" (there may be regulations in your favor), they will. I have a customer in Alaska with an 8-channels PRI and they are very happy. The difference from their previous phone system has amazed them. To your manager just mention the basic advantages of digital lines:

- pin drop voice quality

- DID, CLID, immediate dial completion

Then you are right, the AIM-CUE is not supported in the 1760, but it is in the 2600XM, that are extremely cheap. In a pinch, you could consider having CME on the 1760 (as it is more flexible in hosting voice cards) and CUE on the 2600XM.

Of course, if you can get even just a 2801 ISR router, that will make things even better and you will be able to run CME 4.3, that is an huge improvement in all areas.

Thanks for the appreciation and good luck!

P

Thanks for the info. I am trying to find out pricing now on the 2600XM and a 2801.

If I do go with the PRI, what kind of cards would I need for the 1760 to connect it into the PSTN. Would I just need a standard T1 WIC or is there a separate card? If I get 8 channels in the PRI, would I need multiple cards?

Thanks for all the help with this.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi, you only need a VWIC-1MFT-T1, and the DSP hardware.

For 8 channels, that would be a minimum of PVDM-256K-8 on the 1760, or a PVDM2-8 on the 2801.

In reality since in most cases you also want a couple of FXS ports for faxes and cordless, it's better to buy a larger PVDM since the very beginning.

P

Thanks again for the help.

If I did get support for the 2600XM, can I run CME on that device along with CUE so I only have one device? If so, what hardware would I need in the 2600. If I can do this, I would just send the 1760 to one of our other sites to use there for call routing and have one VM system at our main site in the 2600.

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes you can use the 2600XM for CME, but the 1760 is overall a better choice, because it can host more easily voice interfaces and PVDM modules.

By contrast, the 2600XM need a Voice Network Module of which there are enough varieties to scare an expert.

If you can ultimately get a 2801, go for it. It's the most flexible device and does well for up to 30 phones.

P

I know I am being a pain here, I really appreciate the help.

So, if I go witht eh 2801, I would need the NM for CUE, then the CME feature set, and the PVDM module and I could host both CME and CUE on the same device correct, plus be able to connect to the PSTN (whether the PRI model, or POTS with an FXO interface cared). Is this correct, or is there any additional HW/SW I would need?

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

All correct, except the CUE for 2801 must be AIM and not NM.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies