Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

h.323 fxs and paging system

We are trying to connect a fxs port using h.323 to a paging system. the system seems to want the line to stay live all the time. Every time we plug it into the fxs port it brings the connection up, but now we can't call that port to page anyone. any thoughts on how to clear the connection or and previous experience with paging systems and voip in general...thanks-

9 REPLIES

Re: h.323 fxs and paging system

Sounds like the paging system may be set up as a 600 ohm line input instead of a loop start. What type of paging interface are you using (brand and model)?

its a toa 900 series II in a l41 jack...3 position jack. ground, common and hot.

Ok, you can use that amplifier and a FXS port, but you will need a Station Level Adapter such as the Bogen TAM-B http://www.bogen.com/pdf/7783-05.pdf

This will do the following: When you call the DN of the FXS port the TAM-B will answer and provide a pre-announce or confirmation tone. At the same time it opens a voice path between the FXS port and the paging amplifier. You only need the TAM-B; the power supply will not be required for this application. If you are providing background music with this amplifier, you may have an issue with BGM not working depending upon how the TOA senses the paging signal. Let me know if you need further direction.

-Brian

Thanks for the great information...so there is NO way to connect the two without a converter?

I don't know that specific model of paging interfaces, but I have had several integrations with other paging systems on FXS ports that I had to use h.323 config because MGCP didn't provide proper disconnection supervision on the FXS port.

In this particular case you must have a converter. The TOA amp has a straight 600ohm input that would connect to an unswitched source. This is a very common configuration in TDM style phone switches; they typically have a 600ohm input for Music on Hold and a 600ohm output for paging. However, since you are connecting to a switched source you must have an interface that will allow you to switch the connection off-hook on ring detect and on-hook on CPC detect. The Bogen TAM-B also has VOX detection and a timeout adjustment to ensure proper disconnect. There are many paging interfaces available that work very well with CallManager; Valcom are my personal favorite. In most instances you would use FXO ports directly into the paging interface. This also allows for zone selection because you can forward digits to the paging interface.

We had the same problem. I put a Valcom V-9970 Single Zone One Way Station Level Page Control in between the legacy system and the FXSH.323. This fixed the problem. Pages goe through with no problem and do not stay offhook after hanging up. Check out the site www.valcom.com Hope this helps.

We have the TAMB now and it siezes the line,resulting it the preannounce tone, but no voice is heard most of the time. any suggestion to gain a reliable solution. fxs--->tamb(phone system port)--->(tamb)paging system port---->toa amp

You may need to change the OSI switch setting on the TAM-B. This is 5th switch on the top of the unit. Also if you have not done so, try adjusting the VOX and Paging Time Dials to the maximum setting.

Views
Helpful
Replies