Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

H323 phone or Gateway?

Hi,

I would like to know what is the difference between a H323 terminal and H323 gateway.

Indeed, Can I declare a H323 equipement that has 4 analog (FXS) ports as H323 phone ? Can I create 4 H323 phones or is it mandatory to declare a gateway and leave the Gw the responsability to direct the traffic to the right port?

thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: H323 phone or Gateway?

H323 terminal can be considered as a dumb device, like an IP Phone. You can place calls to and from the terminal, but you cannot use the terminal to do call processing. A terminal would need to use a gateway or gatekeeper inorder to complete a call.

H323 gateway is an independent call processing unit and can process and route calls.

In general, if you have a device with 4 FXS port, then you are better off setting it up as a H323 gateway.

Regards,

Anup

great, thanks for this answer, another question then, how many H323 gateway can we configure on one cluster?

Is it dependant on the physical pf ? Do you know where I can find such figures?

thanks again.

ok I found it on SRND !!!

For information, Max H323 GW (or terminal) = 600 per cluster.

Bye

Views
Helpful
Replies