Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Hard Drive RPM

Question: If I have a spare hard drive for our Publisher and they are the same, except that the RPM on one is 10K and the other is 15K, will this cause problems?

They are mirrored drives Raid 1+0. Smart Array 5i Controller.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Hard Drive RPM

I have tried it, and it seems to work fine. I wouldnt leave it in that configuration permanently though.

Community Member

Thanks, I am only using it to configure a back up drive. Let it mirror up and then pop it out, and put in the original. Let me know what you think about it....

Bronze

That is the reason I did it, and it worked fine.

Community Member

From my knowledge with other servers. If you put a 10k drive in a server that has 15k drives all that will happen is 15k drives will slow down to the 10k spin speed. So disk access may be slower but I doubt you will notice it.

Peter

Community Member

I am assuming it works both ways...I have 10k in there and want to replace one with a 15k?

The 10k drives will not speed up to 15 k by putting a single 15k drive in there if that is what you mean. The drives are going to spin only as fast as the slowest drive in the array but never faster than what they are rated for.

Community Member

No, I know that the drives aren't going to speed up, I just wanted to double check that introducing a faster drive to a slower or a slower to a faster drive was the same. Thanks for following up. I appreciate everyone's help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content