Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Hardware requirement for voice/fax channel from T1?

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I am looking for validation on my interpretation of hardware requirements.

The scenario:

I currently have a T1 coming in to the facility and terminating into a vendor-supplied Adtran box which splits off one of the channels from the T1 for voice/fax use (the Adtran has a centronics-style connector going to a 66 block)

I am also in the process of ordering ADSL service to supplement the bandwidth for non-business usage.

Rather than end up with a solution involving an adtran, ADSL modem, and router or two... I want to combine all services into a 1751 chassis.  My only concern / confusion is how to 'split' off the single voice channel from the T1.  There is a phone # associated with the voice channel.

I believe that I will need the router, a multiflex T1 WIC (VWIC-1MFT-T1), ADSL wic (WIC-1ADSL-DG), and an FXS card such as the VIC-2FXS

Am I close here, or completely off base?  Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-P

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

That can be done, but the hardware you mentioned is very old and not supported anymore, you should use at least an ISR G1 like a 1841, 2801, or 2901, with the appropriate cards.

Also you should get from telco the exact details of all service present on the T1.

Paolo,

Thanks for the reply - I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the way I described is the 'concept' and correct WIC/VWIC combination of how to get an analog dialtone from a T1 channel while leaving the rest for data.

I know there are probably many more benefits to going with a more modern router, but this is for personal use (the T1 is tied to a business account, but hosted in my house and maintained by me) and I can't really get an ISR in my price range - 1751s, on the other hand, are easy to come by and affordable - I just want to ensure I can have a single line available for Fax

Thanks!

-P

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Hardware requirement for voice/fax channel from T1?

You're welhcome, please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Views
Helpful
Replies