cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help about Cisco IP Softphone

carlostrapiello
Level 1
Level 1

I've installed and read all the product documentation of the Cisco Softphone and I can't work with it properly.

The main problem is that I can't select a line to use this software because the dialog box to select a line is empty.

How can I configure it?.

I use Call Manager 4.1 and Cisco Ip softphone ver. 1.3.

Thanks, Carlos.

16 Replies 16

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

I think you may be running to bug CSCed91105

This url should help you, It speaks about Installing and Configuring Cisco IP SoftPhone on the Client PC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps1860/products_tech_note09186a00800945d2.shtml

I did it yet and and I've read all the documentation about softphone I don't know what I will do.

Hi Carlos,

First of all create a CTI port and give it a DN. Then create an user in Global Directory and associate the CTI port with the user.

Now, on the PC on which you have Softphone installed, make sure that there isn't any firewall blocking any ports. Also, if you are using Windowds XP SP2, make sure to disable the Windows Internal Firewall.

After this, go into the Control Panel and in Phone and Modem Settings. Then go to Advanced and select Cisco TSP and click on Configure. Make sure you have the user's ID and Password mentioned correctly. Then go to the CTI Manager tab and ensure that you have the correct IP address of the Callmanager acting as the CTI Manager (normally this will be the Publisher).

Update all the settings and bring up the IP Softphone software. Click on the Settings button and click on Advanced. There, makesure you have the correct Username and Password specified and thhe correct CTI Manager IP is present. Click on Update and then the Select Lines button. That should give you the CTI port to select.

If you don't see any lines there, make sure you restart the CTI manager service on the Callmanager acting as the CTI manager.

If this dowsnt work, then you need to check the CTI Manager logs and the TSP logs on the PC on which you have the softphone installed.

Let me know incase of any issues.

*** Dont forget to download the latest version of Softphone - I dont remember which one is the latest one.

Thank you very much you gave me a good answer but I've done all that you say me and It doesn't work yet. There are no lines to select.

Only I don't know how can I check CTIManager and TSP logs.

And what I am doing wrong.

Is where I've installled the Cisco Softphone where I must to do the configuration that you say me of the phone and modem settings?.

I don't what happen. I need more help.

Thanks.

Hi Carlos,

It is not that you have done anything wrong in the configuration. Everything looks to be ok, but there might be something internal to Callmanager or TSP or CTI that might be responsible for this.

Can you setup some kind of Web Access Session where I can take a look at the system where you have the IP Softphone installed? You will have to check the Phone and Modem Options in the Control Panel of the PC on which you have the IP softphone installed. The most recent version of IP Softphone might not (I think) have the TSP as part of the installation package. So, you will have to install it from the Callmanager. From the PC, go to Run \\ipaddress of the Publisher\ciscoplugins\server\ciscotsp.exe.

Copy this file to the PC and run it and then try using the sofpthone.

You can directly reach me at suman.bhattacharya@ocwen.com

*** Please rate the posts which are helpful :-)

Good morning.

Sorry but I can't give you access to my net bacause I haven't permission to do that in my work.

If you want, I can send you all the screen captured that you say me to your mail.

I have the lastest version of Cisco softphone (1.3) and it install Cisco TSP as a part of the aplication.

I am going to verify that Cisco TSP is installed in the publisher machine.

Thanks, Carlos.

The latest version of softphone 1.3(4) does not include the CCM 4.1 TSP. Have you performed the following procedure?

Upgrading the Cisco TAPI/TSP for Cisco SoftPhone

Perform the following procedure to upgrade the Cisco SoftPhone TAPI/TSP to the version that is stated in the Cisco CallManager Compatibility Matrix.

Procedure

Step 1 From each Cisco Softphone client, browse into server that is running Cisco CallManager Administration and log in with administrative privileges.

Tip To browse into the server, enter https:///CCMAdmin/main.asp, where equals the name of the server, in the Address bar in the web browser.

Step 2 From the Application menu, choose Install Plugins.

Step 3 Click the Cisco Telephony Service Provider icon that is associated with the plug-in.

Step 4 To complete the upgrade, follow the prompts in the window.

Step 5 Verify that a basic call works as expected for Cisco SoftPhone.

Hi.

Thank you for your good answer.

But I have another question for you, when I install the Cisco TSP 4.1 in the Call Manager machine, the instalation program ask me how many instances of Cisco TSP I want to install.

What's that?.

Thanks, Carlos.

Carlos,

Are you trying to install the TSP on the Callmanager or on the PC on which you have Softphone installed?

You will have to install it on the PC on which you have the Softphone installed.

If you already have TSP installed on the system on which you have Softphone installed, then I think the issue lies somewhere else. Can you look for the trace files located in the folder where you have installed the Softphone? Send them here and we can take a look at it.

I attached you the trace fils that you request me.

I've upgrade Cisco TSP in the machine where I have installed Cisco softphone and softphone continues wrong, I can't select a line.

Thanks, Carlos.

Carlos,

The logs show that the TAPI provider cant be found - nothing more.

Let me ask you something - did you associate the CTI port with the username in Global Directory in Callmanager, who is trying to log in to the Softphone?

Can you try installing softphone on another PC and then test it? Or else, uninstall softphone from this PC and then reinstall it.

Do you have the CTI manager service running on the Callmanger?

Please send me the exact version of Softphone you are using (for example : 1.3(4a))

You can see the full version on the left corner when you open the softphone application.

What is the operating system on the PC on which you have installed this?

I've done all that you say me.

I will try to install sofphone in another pc or reinstall it here.

The CTIManager service is runnig in Call Manager.

My exactly version is 1.3(3).

I have installed softphone in a Windows XP.

Thanks, Carlos.

Carlos,

all of that should not be that complicated. I have seen instances where IP Communicator would stop working like that, but usually on machines that have a lot of crap installed on them. Try a different PC, like you said, change the mac address in the CallManager, add the right tftp server on the IPC, and it should work.

Dragi

Hi friend.

It works this morning!!. I can select a line but I have no time to do more. I made a call too.

The thing that makes that softphone doesn't work was that in the user associated to the CTI Port you must to check the "Enable CTI Provider" checkbox.

Thanks, Carlos