cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with small office IP telephony design

zcubed
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to get some asistance if possible. I have to put together a solution for a small office of about 15 users. I would like some assistance on the types of hardware needed.

I know I need the phones. I'm proposing the 7940

A conference station the 7935, Call Manager MCS 7825, and I know I need a gateway to the PSTN. The type of gateway I am unsure of. I would like to use an inline power switch ( I am also assuming I need the in-line power patch panel as well)

What I would like to know is am I missing anything the is required to provide basic voice mail, conference calling, faxing, etc.

Thank you

Kendyll Benson

5 Replies 5

paul.stephens
Level 1
Level 1

Regarding the gateway, will you have a primary rate or basic rate ISDN ?

With the inline power switch you don't need the inline power patch panel.

The only option for voicemail from Cisco is Unity but it will probably be expensive for a 15 user system. Fax can be added to Unity

Conferencing is available as part of Call Manager either as an ad-hoc or meet-me conference

Hope this helps

Catalyst 3524-PWR switch will be fine for your needs.

As Paul says the gateway depends on what you want BRI/PRI.

Unity will be expensive for 15 users, ia this greenfield or is there an exisiting voicemail you could integrate into? You would need an SMDI gateway for that. I know the VG248 can do SMDI now, but Ive never tried it.

I will be using PRI service from the local carrier.

As far as the voice mail issue, this is a new start-up company with no existing telephony systems. Also, it appears that the existing cabling the company wants to use appears to be CAT3 over relatively short distances. Do you think there will be any problems running at 10Mbps.

CAT3 is unsupported, but if you've got the standard 4-pair wiring scheme, it will work. We ran PCs chained through the phones to line-powered 6500s and 3524XLs until our re-cabling was completed. Throttle the switch ports back to 10Mb and don't autosense. We've run distances over 150 feet with absolutely abyssmal wiring and it worked. I would plan to replace with CAT5E or CAT6 as soon as possible, though.

droessler
Level 1
Level 1

Try looking at this:

1. 3524PWR-XL switches

2. ICS7750 w/ SPE310 server blades (for CM), MRP200 router blades (for gateways), and Unity server blade (for voicemail only). One MRP blade should be sufficient, since all you will have is a single PRI. I would make sure that FAX services will run over the PRI using H323, since MGCP is not currently supported over PRI on the ICS7750.

3. get GBICs for your 3524 switches

4. Make sure the network can support integrated voice and data. Fully switched 100mbps LAN, etc...

5. 7960 phones

6. 7935 conf phone

7. Invest in third party fax services hardware