Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Help with Unity 4.0(3) install/upgrade...?

Existing setup: Unity 3.1.5, Exchange 2000 off-box.

Some background: our Unity box got hacked big time a few months back, and ever since we've been experiencing strange problems with Unity (not routing calls to the correct handler, services randomly crashing, etc.). We figured the best solution would be to do a fresh install of Unity.

To make a very long and sordid story short, I think it would be easiest if we just wiped out everything - AD accounts, mailboxes, and Unity subscribers - and just start over. We currently have a dual integration with CCM 3.3(2) and SMDI; we will no longer be needing the integration with the SMDI. We are also planning on moving the Unity box to an entirely different location. I have all of the correct license keys for 4.0(3) from Cisco.

Here's what I have planned...if anyone else has some input, I'd appreciate it:

1. Run the Uninstall Unity utility (just to be safe; this may be unnecessary).

2. Wipe out our AD accounts/mailboxes on Exchange.

3. Move box to new location

4. Pull out the dialogic cards

5. Run the fresh install of 4.0(3), with a brand new import of all subscribers.

I know everything will have to be recreated - call handlers, subscriber greetings, etc. - but I think it would be worth it in the end.

Our only other alternative would be to do an install of our original version, 3.1.2, upgrade to 3.1.5, restore our data using DIRT, and then do a 4.0(3) upgrade, but that seems like way too much...of course, recreating our 100+ call handlers is not going to be any small task either, but I'd rather do one install instead of three.

Anything I'm missing/oversimplifying? Any input would be appreciated.

TMH

6 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Help with Unity 4.0(3) install/upgrade...?

I should start by staying that they are probably less drastic approaches to sure up the system but I am sure you have already looked in to them and would feel better with a "clean" system. I know it can buy piece of mine but I don't want to imply that it's the only way to resolve this problem. With that said...

Is this UM or VM? Is Unity/AD/Exchange all on one machine?

If you backup with DiRT you are going to be bring over the entire SQL database and also your routing rules (used to direct incoming calls to Call Handlers) so you probably don't want to do that if want a "clean" system.

Thanks,

Keith

Yes, I've considered some less drastic approaches, but none of them will buy me that peace of mind I need with Unity...it's been a "problem child" from the very beginning. Since the initial install (which I was not around for), we have had nothing but issues, to put it mildly.

It's a UM system. Unity is on its own box, Exchange and AD are on the other. Exchange is the domain controller; Unity is a member server.

If we run the uninstall Unity utility, can we leave everything in Exchange - the AD accounts and mailboxes - and do a reimport from Exchange during the Unity install? I believe that I read in the manual that you can...if so, that might make things a bit easier.

TMH

Cisco Employee

Yes, the uninstall utility will clean the standing subscribers of Unity properties and will allow them to be reimported again on a clean install. Be sure to follow the directions at the end of the uninstall for removing the Unity folder and a couple of objects it puts in the directory (i.e. the three distribution lists added) such that the new install doesn't have multiple copies of these guys laying around.

Thanks, I will definitely do that.

Unfortunately, I just took a look at my CD's...guess I was a little gung-ho over the whole fresh-install process, because I didn't notice that my CD's are for an upgrade to 4.0(3). Just out of curiosity, what does the full CD set have that the upgrade kit does not?

TMH

Cisco Employee

The CD media is the same for new installs as upgrade (i.e. there's no difference in the setup) - the upgrade stuff is based on licensing (i.e. you paid less for your license file since you were upgrading instead of buying a new version) - the installation itself doesn't care.

Fantastic! That is great news. I was looking at the CD's and thought they had the same "stuff" as our original 3.1 CD's.

Thanks so much for all of your help...I'm more than a little nervous about this upgrade/install.

TMH

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content