cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Heterogeneous enviroment with legacy PBX and CM under Gatekeeper control

gdrou
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco IP Telephony Design Guide suggests that Cisco IOS gatekeeper provide admission control for calls between CM (Call Manager)only. How a CM user at one site will communicate to another site where there is a Cisco IOS Gateway connectd to the PBX?

Consider that we have many sites with legacy PBX and each one is connected to the Cisco IOS Gateway. This topology is integrated in H.323 enviroment and a Gatekeeper provides address translation, bandwidth control, e.t.c.

Is it possible this gatekeeper(that controls the legacy PBXs under IOS gateways)to communicate with another gatekeeper that controls CM in distributed topology (Address Translation/E.164)?

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The issue is that the protocol type selected for the gatekeeper device as configured in CallManager can either be Intercluster Trunk (ICT) or H.225. You need to select ICT if you are going to be setting up and receiving calls with other CallManager clusters, or select H.225 for anything else. That limitation is going to go away in a later version of CallManager. The problem would still exist even if you used more than one gatekeeper.

gdrou
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you David for your immediate answer. I would like to ask you if is it possible to have one gatekeeper under ICT signalling and a second under H.225 and one of them converts the ICT signalling to H.225 and vice versa.

Giorgos Drougoutis.

At this time, no. I have been told that in a release next year (not 3.2) there will be the capability to create 2 gatekeeper devices, one for each signaling method.

Also, I have talked to a couple different customers who are already using a hybrid CallManager/IOS network using a gatekeeper. The CallManager is set for the ICT protocol, and the MTP Required is checked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: