Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Hi

What is the better option VOFr or Voip

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Hi

Hi

Voice over Frame Relay is the encapuslation of voice into Frame Relay packets, therefore it is constrained only to Frame environments. VoIP is the encapsulation of voice into IP packets and is therefore not limited to Layer 2 stuff. I would add a third option which is IP Telephony, or the Cisco IP phones.

Tell us more about your requirements and what problem you are trying to solve as each has good things and bad things associated with it.

Rick

Hello Rick,

Basically my customer wants to connect his remote site with two phones.

Just informed me that he is not interested in VOIP at present due to the fact that he has to go in for IP phones.

He is presently connected through frame relay.So look that I have to settle for VoFr.

Cisco Employee

Not exactly.

You can do VoIP without using IP phones. Hardware-wise, the setup would be the same as VoFR, except, as Rick said, the RTP audio stream would be in IP packets instead of FR frames.

A voice gateway at each site with an FXS port plugged into an analog phone with VoIP between them will work great.

If bandwidth is tight, then you will get some small savings with VoFR.

Sounds like either VoFR or VoIP will solve your problem. Keep in mind most new development is focused on VoIP vs. VoFR, so VoIP will provide you a more robust solution should you need expand down the line.

Regards,

Clay

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content