cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hiding users in Corporate Directory

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I am trying to remember how to hide users in CD in CM. Referring to this tech note, hiding users is not that of a big deal, but this user gets removed from CD in Callmanager and hence the user doesnt show up in the phone. The disadvantage of this method is that you can modify any user related parameter from the web interface. How can we work around this ? Is there another alternative method ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00804d2087.shtml

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
21 Replies 21

Larry,

Didnt think it was that easy..Good deal!! That works.

But if somebody searches using the first name in the last name field in Corp. Directory search windows in the phone, they will be able to pull up the user. Thats the catch, which is ok.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Sankar,

It as actually very simple, just put a { in front of the first and last name, and it will not show up on the phone, but will be shown in ccmadmin. Users will not be able to search using this character on the phone, plus it will not show in a search all, so this should solve your issue I guess ;-)

Example

UserID: caradmin

FirstName: {car

LastName: {admin

Kind regards,

Leo

Leo,

Good idea Leo. my 5 cents for you!!

Loy,

You can disable blind search feature from Enterprise parameters. That way you can force them to enter first few characters in last or first name

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

actually, the method using the { (as proposed) will not show the users at a blank search either ;-)

That is, I tested it with CallManager 4.0(1) and it did not show while it did with other special characters :-)

Leo

ps. thankx for the rating ;-)

Leo,

I tried this on CM 5.0 and doesnt seem to work. The { does show up in Corporate directory on the phone in a blind search.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

So, I see what the trick is, just modify the names in a manner that will keep people from entering the search criteria that would match...that works fine, but my "real world" users keep using a blank search field to "test" and see what comes up. This will yield some of those undesireable search results...that is what I was trying to programmatically fix...any ideas how to handle that? I have an idea, but it doesn't seem to be working. Another question is, when I modify the xmldirectorylist.asp, do I need to start/stop a service to clear the cache like you have to do for the TFTP service when you change the ringlist.xml?

Thanks

Loevans,

Try my proposal, it will not show users starting with { in a blank search either :-))

I tested it with CallManager 4.0(1)

Leo