Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU Utilization

adeolu_adeoye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

The CPU Utilization on my Unity Server is going through thre roof!! Every five seconds or so, it hits 100%. When I check the processes running, I see that a variety of Av services have high utilization (AvGaenSvr, Avttssvr, AvDSGlobalCatalog, AvRepDirSvrSvc). Occassionally, The system idle process also goes way up.

Any suggestions? I am using Unity 3.1 (3). Unity is running on WIn 2k Server SP2. Exchange 2000 SP2 on Win 2k Server SP2.

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

kill and disable the AvGaenSvr service... there are a couple open bugs against this guy getting into a tight loop...

I have done that, but the problem still persists. The System Idle process now seems to be the main hog of CPU bandwidth.

System Idle isn't a process, it's how much of the system is sitting idle. If it's at 100%, the system is completely idle, meaning it's not doing anything.

Oh, thanks for educating me. However, if that is the case, why then does the performance monitor keep telling me that I have 100% utilization every five seconds or so. I noticed that on occassion, I have three Av Services running at about 30% or more. These services are the ones that relate with AD and the GC.

Is there a reason for this?

No specific answer for your question (sorry) but this tech tip has info on the different services and what they are use for with Unity 3.x:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/unity-services.html

Jami

DALI WANG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adelou,

Have you solved the High CPU Utilization? We installed a Unity Server yerterday, and now get the same question as you met. Any advice?

Thanks

David