Views
Helpful
Replies

High Traffic message on IP Phones

r-marchetti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

a customer with an IP-Telephony solution told me to have seen the message "High Traffic" on some 7910/7960 IP Phones. In that occasion he has to wait up to 20 seconds to hear idle tone; this kind of behaviour is not frequent (once a week) and I wasn't able to see to message when I was at customer site and I found nothing related to on the CCO.

Do anybody have any idea of the causes of this message?

Thanks

Regards

Roberto

8 Replies 8

benng
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Roberto,

I think the entire message is "High Traffic Try Again Later".

This message was introduced as a fix for CSCdw05779 to minimize the impact of a phone defect in which a very large number of offhook message are sent to the Call Manager, causing CPU to spike and results in very slow call processing response time on the server.

When you see this message, it usually indicates that the CM server is too busy to respond to the offhook request coming from the phone. Therefore, the first step in troubleshooting this is to determine:

1. Is the server very busy at the time of the problem (high cpu, etc).

2. If so, what is causing the cpu to spike? Is there a particular process that's taking all the cpu time? (this can be done from Task Manager.)

3. CCM and SDL trace captured at the time of the problem will help also.

Hope it helps.

-ben

Hello,

I saw bug CSCdw05779 on CCO, and it seems to be solved with device load newer than P00303010402, but we have default for CM3.1.4b (P00303020202) and we still have this problem. I saw that the problem is fixed on CM version 3.1.3aSPF, but it seems to be unfixed on 3.1.4b: the problem could be related to this? Do you have more accurate informations?

In the meantime I'm going to check CPU occupation and traces.

Thanks

Regards

Roberto

Ben,

I work with Roberto in fixing the problem.

The firmware on the Ip Phone that has the problem is P00303010405 that is newer than the firmware listed on CSCdw05779 bug.

The customer got the problem on both 7960 and 7910 (P00403010405).

The CCM release is: 3.1.4(b) - (only one server)

The same customer has another CCM (release 3.1.3(a) SPc) (two node cluster) in another site:

fw 7960: P00303010400 - older then the firmware listed on the bug;

fw 7910: P00403010400 - older then the firmware listed on the bug;

Here the customer doesn't have any problem on the phones.

Do you think an IP Phone firmware upgrade to the last supported release will help?

Do you think that this could be a problem of CCM release or IP Phones firmware?

Many think for your attention.

Regards

Hello,

I have checked the CPU useage on CM:

1) When the problems occurs, the CPU usage is around 100%;

2) The service that cause this spike is TCDsrv.exe;

Somebody have any news on that problem?

TCDsrv.exe is the telephony Call Dispatcher, which is used by the attendant console and Web Attendant. When the problem occurs is the site attendant doing anything unusual, or does the site have a lot of hunt groups configured or configured in loops?

You could also try stopping and starting the TCD in control centre to see if this helps

Paul

Hi all, sorry for the delay in replying, been a busy new year so far. :)

Basically, it's not a phone load issue, mentioning of CSCdw05779 in my first posting was merely background information on why "High Traffic Try Again Later" was introduced, sorry if it misled you in the troubleshooting efforts.

Now that we know that these messages are caused by high cpu utilization on the server, and the service taking all the cpu time is TCDsrv.exe, there are two possible solutions:

1. If your customer is _NOT_ using the Web Attendant or Attendant Console Application, you can safely stop and disable the TCD service permenantly which is responsible for this application as Paul has pointed out in the previous msg.

2. If your customer _IS_ using the Web Attendant or Attendant Console Applications, you are running into a bug: CSCdy32786. The fix is in Attendant Console 1.12(a)ES1 or later and please upgrade to that.

Thanks,

-ben

Hi all,

I have stopped, and disable TCD service on CallManager server, because customer is not using Attendant Console.

Now it's three days that the problem doesn't occur (excluding week-end).

I want to wait for other two days to be sure that we have resolved this issue.

If there is no other problem, I try to upgrade Attendant Console to latest release.

Thanks for your profitable help!!!!

Gabriele

Do you have any idea what will cause the tcd service to go whacko? We just experienced this problem as well. We have no Attendant Console Pilot Points set up (however there might be in the future). I understand disabling the serivice if it is not needed will fix the problem but again, what caused it in the first place.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: