cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High volume of "phantom" messages

sgamer
Level 1
Level 1

My client is experiencing a high volume of messages that are dead air. They said it's been as high as 5 of 7 messages left. I suspect they are hangups but am not sure. With Unity 2.4.6, I recall something about G729 not being able to detect silence. While I never had this problem with 2.4.6 could this be why I am with 3.0.2 running G729 or should I adjust the recording settings? Thanks for any suggestions.<br><br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

Unfortunately there is no silence detection capabilities if you're using G729a as the codec (I think the release notes talk about this). The WAV driver is simply not capable of telling when there is no audio energy in that compressed format without first converting it to another format (i.e. 711), checking then repacking it... very, very expensive to be doing at all times, it's just not practical.

It's possible, then, these are outside callers bailing out before getting dumped to the operator/interviewer/etc... and it records messages.

who are the messages for? How long are they?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

It sounds like the "phantom" messages are as long as the message length setting allows and all subscribers are getting them intermittently. What would you suggest I try first to at least limit these messages? Thanks.

Not applicable

Couple issues here... why is the disconnect not being seen? I'm assuming this is a situation where outside callers are hanging up and a disconnect event is not propogating through to us.

If that's the case, the only thing I can suggest is switching to 711 to get silence detection capabilities. Unless one of the switch gurus out here can offer something better (i.e. proper disconnect supervision for these call scenarios).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

What is the PSTN connectivity type off the GW to the PSTN?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

They are using VG200's with analog lines (don't ask) for now. I haven't confirmed it yet but I think the phantom messages are being left by outside callers as well as internal callers. The internal callers default to G711 but will switch to G729 when CM sets up the call so they shouldn't be using the GW at all.

Thanks Jeff, I'll have to get back to you on the specifics. Unfortunately I have to be at another deal in a few minutes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: