cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High VPN router CPU utilization with voice traffic

dgoswick
Level 1
Level 1

I posted this question on the VPN forum, but no one responded...

I have two 2620 routers each with an AIM-VPN/BP hardware encryption module. They both have a T1 to an ISP, and we have a VPN tunnel set up between them. We are using single DES, not 3DES between these sites. I can send data through without any problem and I get the desired T1 speed that I want. However, if I send 6 or 7 g.729 (without cRTP) voip calls over that same link, the CPU utilization starts to peg out at 99%. This of course results in poor quality calls. Any idea why this is happening? I can change the codec to g.711 and it looks almost identical as far as CPU utilization. I have tested with 2 calls at both codecs, and they both put the same load on the CPU. What is causing this?

2 Replies 2

a.wells
Level 1
Level 1

I dont have an answer ,though we experience simillar problem with the same routers under the same type of load 5 calls cpu hits 99%

I wonder if bug CSCdu89643 has anything to do with this. The bug states "AIM-VPN performance is different for IP and UDP traffic" This would make sense being that voice traffic is RTP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: