cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Holding when an extension is busy

afeind
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get Unity to supervise transfers to my office secretary. When she is on the phone and her line rings Callmanager forwards it to Unity and it goes straight to VM. I set the supervise transfer and checked the box to ask the caller if they want to hold but they never get the option of holding. It simply goes straight to VM. I am running CM 3.1.3a(C) with Unity 2.4.6.135 and TSP 6.0.1. I feel like I am missing something in my subscriber setup in Unity.<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The problem is that you have call waiting or call forward busy (CFB) configured on the line. CallManager never returns busy to the Unity and thus Unity never takes the busy action. You will need to turn of call waiting and CFB to get this to work.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

I have uncheck call forward busy on the extention and it still won't allow anyone to hold. What do I need to do now?

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this is what Unity is supposed to do... when the call forwards into Unity from an extension number, we look that extension up, find the mailbox in this case and we will deliberately skip the transfer rules in this case and go straight to the greeting. You can imagine if we didn't do this we could very easily get caught in a "transfer loop" where we send the call out, it comes back in busy/RNA which would then forward back out to the extension etc... until we ran out of ports and the call was dropped. not good.

You essentially want to provide holding services without using the switch to do it here... call forwards into Unity busy you want us to immediately tell the person they are on hold and there are x people in front of them... is this right? There are probably better ways to go about this using functionality external to Unity but here’s one way you can handle it.

Enable the busy greeting for this person’s mailbox… set it to “blank” greeting and in the after greeting action set it to “attempt transfer for” the same mailbox. This “loop around” trick will take all calls that forward busy to this mailbox and try the number again… which will then put them in the busy queue you’re looking for.

This is a real good way to chew up a lot of ports in a hurry so be careful… but that should work for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: