Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Host Not Found

I'm using the Cisco Communicator to connect to our Call Manager and have configured the IP Phone Services and selected the Calendar subscription.

I have also been to Call Manager Admin and configured Calendar as follows:

http://172.16.3.24/CiscoIPServices/Calendar/calinput.asp

Now, when I go to that site using IE, everything works fine. I know the typical response to this question is "you need to use the IP Address" -- well I am!!

I can see the page it is requesting by going to the call manager site with my phone id as follows:

http://172.16.19.30/CCMCIP/getservicesmenu.asp?name=SEP000CF1298ABF

This then shows me the xml which would be presented to the phone. But then if I use that URL (which is identical to the one above) in IE, it works, but if I do it on the handset, it complains -- Host Not Found...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I am using Windows Server 2003 if that makes a difference -- also spent quite some time ensuring that Everyone has access to everything, as well as the anonymous user used by IIS...

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Host Not Found

Is the page that the phone is requesting (as seen in getservicesmenu) "http://172.16.3.24/CiscoIPServices/Calendar/calinput.asp"?

Overall what you have there looks allright. The Communicator wants to use HTTP 1.1, so it'll be using the Host header, which is blank when the host is an IP address, but that shouldn't affect the initial call for the page (and since the calinput.asp uses the LOCAL_ADDR to build the URL after that, it should still be okay).

What is the ip address of the IP Phone? What is the subnet mask set on the IP phone? Does the phone think it has to go through a gateway to get to the web server for some reason? If the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the phone is not in the 172.16.3.0 network, then it will look to go through the default gateway to reach the 172.16.3.0 network. If that presents a connectivity problem, then that would be one reason for your problem.

You could also sniff the packets to see the exact request from the phone to the web server...

Thanks for your response. Yes, I believe that is what the phone is requesting.

I'm basically using Communicator on the same PC that I'm using IE from, hence my surprise that it doesn't work..., since it does when I perform the same request via IE, and why I don't think it is to do with subnets/gateways etc.....

This is a problem I've been chasing with TAC for about two weeks. Apparently there's a bug in communicator that doesn't populate the URLs for services, information, and corporate directory from the config file. Sniffer traces have proven that the information is correct in the file...

TAC has given me a couple of bug IDs (CSCeg80091

) that deal with changing the device profiles but they don't seem to affect my environment.

Are you on 1.1(4)?

Thanks for your response. I'm using Communicator 1.1.4.0. Do you think this is the same issue? I am using the Services button and then selecting one of the apps as published on the Call Manager... Any thoughts?

Thanks once again...

It's likely the same issue. I tried the new 1.1(5) today and got the same results. The wierd thing is that I have machines working correctly on the same versions of code, but all of these machines previously had IP Softphone and earlier IP Communicators installed. I think something may be different in the installation distribution.

Tom

Hi Tom,

So you think that it would work from a physical handset then? I must admit, I've been doing the development remotely and using Communicator to test, so I don't think I've tried it on an actual 7970... (not sure I should admit that), but I (obviously incorrectly) assumed that it would work as a phone in the same way. I switched to something simple like the Calendar when I found that it wasn't working...

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on where I can go from here, that would be great. Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Darren.

It's all fixed!!!!

I feel a bit stupid really... Someone else had installed some software onto the web server which was doing some strange things.

That is what was responsible for the 302 redirect. Very interesting since from my workstation using IE, the web site worked fine and was returning the correct information, just from the domain name instead of the IP Address - but it was the same server as any changes I made to the code were reflected in the responses.

So, I stopped the 3rd party software, restarted my WWW service and it all started working...

I would have thought that the browser in Communicator should be able to handle names instead of addresses and redirects ok.

Anyway, thanks once again for your responses, and hopefully my experience (stupidity? :) ) might help someone else out there...

Regards,

Darren.

OK, so I've had chance to spend a bit more time on this. I used Ethereal to sniff the packets and what I am finding is that my web server seems to be returning an HTTP response 302 WebCenter Redirect to the hostname instead of the IPAddress.

For example, if the request is http://172.16.3.24/..., the redirect is pointing the browser to http://host.domain.com/...

I don't know if this could be the cause of the problem, but I have also tried editing the hosts file on my workstation and on the CM so that it resolves ok, but still no joy...

Could this be it, or am I "barking up the wrong tree"... If it is, can I stop IIS from performing the redirect to the hostname? I've done a quick "google", but can't seem to find anything...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Darren.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content