Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can migrate the 4.0(2)/E2K to 4.0(3)/E2K3 ?

I need an information to migrate the existing Unity 4.0(2)/Exchange2000(off box) to 4.0(3)/Exchange2003(off box). I know how to upgrade the Unity to 4.0(3) but not sure for the Exchange integration with new version. My migration scenario as follows,

1. Upgrade the existing Exchage2K to Exchange2003

2. Upgrade the system manager on the Unity to Ex2003(add/Remove at Control panel)

3. Upgrade the Unity to 4.0(3) and select "Exchange 2003" during upgrade.

I'm wondering how to keep the subscriber information at Unity(it was Ex2K and now Ex2K3). Pelase guide me in detail with step-by stpe.

Thanks,

9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: How can migrate the 4.0(2)/E2K to 4.0(3)/E2K3 ?

Check out the beta version of the "Unity Modification and Upgrade Guide" that I've posted to the Documents page of www.CiscoUnityTools.com. There's a chapter in there that walks through the details of changing the partner Exchange server Unity is connected to - you'll find it here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Documents/Cisco%20Unity%20Modification%20and%20Upgrade%20Guide%20(With%20Microsoft%20Exchange).pdf

Thanks your great doc. it'll be very helpful to working the Unity modification. I understood the general migration path but have a specific question. If I only upgrade the Unity 4.0(2) to 4.0(3), the exchange integration will not change. My case is should upgrade Unity and Exchange both in the same time.

As I know, upgrade the off-box Ex2K3(from Ex2K, all information will same) first and upgrade the System Manger on Unity to Ex2K3. and then, upgrade Unity 4.0(3) with selection "Exchange 2003" as integration option. Nothing extra step. Am I correct ?

Thanks,

Cisco Employee

I'd upgrade to 4.0(3) first and then follow the instructions in the document for moving the partner exchange server from your off box 2000 to the off box 2003 Exchange server.

Hi Jeff -

I saw this post and checked out your new document. In our case, we'll already be at Unity 4.0(3), but our Exchange admin is planning an inplace upgrade from Exchange 2000 to 2003. Unity is currently peered with a bridgehead server that only has the UOmni mailbox on it (for our Octel bridge). Could we do an inplace upgrade of this server with the UOmni mailbox on it and then run the Message Store configuration wizard to change to Exchange 2003? Or should we move the UOmni mailbox to one of two mail servers running Exchange 2000 during the Exchange upgrade? Thanks for considering this different take on upgrading Exchange.

Sincerely,

Ginger

Gold

As soon as you upgrade one of those Exchange 2000 servers to Exchange 2003 Unity will not be able to service mailboxes on it. If Unity is servicing mailboxes on it that will cause you a problem.

I would suggest upgrading the Unity partner server first to Exchange 2003 and then upgrade the other servers. Otherwise users on the Exchange 2003 server will basically be down until the partner server is upgraded.

Make sense? :-)

Hi Keith -

Yep, that makes sense. Thanks for confirming - since the bridgehead server has only the UOmni mailbox on it and no other subscribers, we can upgrade that box first. This will be performed on a weekend, so even if Octel communication to Unity is stopped during the bridgehead upgrade, we should be OK.

Thanks much as always!

Ginger

Hi, in my case my client's off-box message store servers are required to be upgraded from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. After I have gone through the Unity Modification and Upgrade Guide on the www.ciscounitytools.com, I have 1 question.

1) What happen to the Exchange System Management Tool 2003 and the Exchange 2003 patches on the Unity servers? When do we need to uninstall the previous Exchange 2000 System Management Tool and reinstall the new version during the upgrade process? It did not mention in the above document.

Thanks.

---

Raymond

Cisco Employee

You should be able to simply install the Exchange 2003 system management tools over the top of the 2000 version - once the partner server Unity is pointing at is Exchange 2003 we will need to Exchange 2003 system management tools installed on the Unity server for us to be able to log into mailboxes.

Thanks for your clarification. Can I further elaborate my questions?

In my case, my client has 4 Exchange 2000 servers as the common message store servers for 3 independent UM systems with Unity 4.0(3) servers with failover. As my client will upgrade the Exchange servers one by one within 6 months. Do you mean that I need to upgrade all 6 Unity servers once the first Exchange server is being upgraded from 2000 to 2003? Will this cause any impact or issue for Unity accessing the subscribers with their mailbox located at Exchange 2000 server?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content