cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I bypass the standard greeting while enabling the closed greeting

poloff
Level 1
Level 1

I have a central site using call handlers for both open and closed hours. Also, a branch office using the standard greeting for all hours. I am installing a third office that wants to use just the closed greeting. I created a CTI route point, and a new schedule. Told the call handler to use a blank source for greeting (since I am unable to disable the standard greeting) and created a new greeting for closed. I have 2 problems. One - when I dial my CTI route point DN, I get "Please wait while I transfer your call" instead of just ringing the extension I have designated. Second - I do not hear my recording, when I try to play it back. What am I missing

8 Replies 8

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

The closed greeting is just the greeting that plays when the schedule has the current time set to off (no check mark in the box). If you want to play just the closed greeting for one office, then there's no difference between enabling the alternative greeting, having all boxes in the schedule checked and using the standard greeting, or having all the boxes in the schedule unchecked. In the case of your third site, it's just easier to enable the alternate greeting instead of configuring a new schedule and working out all the extra logic to get that to work.

An added bonus of enabling the alternate greeting is that it will *always* play before any other greetings regardless of the schedule. You don't even have to worry about disabling the standard greeting (which you can't do anyway).

I don't understand your two issues though:

1) CTI Route Points are just used for signalling. Route Points can't do media termination. There's nothing to "ring." You should have your CTI Route Point using the same extension as the callhandler you've configured in Unity. Then you should set the CTI Route Point to CallForwardAll to Unity. Once you've done this, Unity takes over. This "Please wait while I transfer your call" is Unity transferring the call to whatever extension you've configured. There's an unsupported trick to get rid of that system prompt, but, again, it's not supported, and when you upgrade, your change is gone.

2) When you've configured a callhandler to transfer a call (as it appears you have), it won't play any greetings you've recorded. Are you trying to play it back in another manner: TRaP or using the Greetings Administrator?

adam

Maybe I am making this too difficult. Let me start over explaining what we want.

We have a counter with 3 phones. Customer wants all three phones to ring and then rollover to each other if they are busy. We have done that with extension 200, 201 and 202. Then each phone has a primary extension for the individual user. Ext. 203, 204, 205. They do now want a call handler during the day. They want the phone to ring and a live person answer it. At night they want a Call handler to answer and forward either to a cell phone (203) will be forwarded or to 203 voice mail using call input options.

We had to do this recently at a site.

You have to have a CTI point that forwards all calls to your Unity pilot port. Setup a call handler with the same extension. All calls come into that extension. Change the 'standard' greeting on the call handler to be blank and set the standard transfer rule to ring the first number. In this case, without any further modifications, an outside caller will call into the main number and get 'please wait while I transfer your call' and then forward off to the first extension. To me this is confusing to people calling in. Go out to www.answermonkey.net and download a document called Audio Text Applications in Unity. This document explains how you can change the 'please wait while I transfer your call' wav file to a very short silent wav file. So, in essense, you get what you want, but you lose the wav file that would normally be used whenever you dial an extension from within Unity.

I hope that all makes sense.

It makes sense, although I am not finding a document with that particular name. I already have the CTI point set up etc and had gotten to the point except for the "trick". My concern is that this is the third of 3 sites (and more to come). Each site is using a different call handler. The first site is using the default. The second we created a new one (they are using separate recording for standard and closed), then this one which is also a new and separate call handler associated with our CTI point. Will this affect the other two sites in any way?

The document is, indeed, called "Audiotext Applications in Unity" - it's on the Documents page of www.CiscoUnityTools.com (same site as www.AnswerMonkey.net). Here's a direct link to the doc:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Audio%20Text%20Applications%20in%20Unity.doc

Isn't there a way to rename the original .wav file?

I don't understand what you're asking... what WAV file?

I assume if you're talking about the one that's being overwritten, then yes, technically could name it something like filename.wav.old. Once the 'please wait while I transfer your call' has been replaced by the short silence, however, you've pretty much given up having that wav file being played. That's the trade-off.

I hope this is what you're refering to. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: