Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How do I get a shared number to handle multiple calls?

I know I'm not the only one who has asked about this and I'm a bit frustrated by it...

I've replaced several small pbx's and key/hybrids with CallManager and 7940's. I've got several small groups of up to 10 people that each are used to having their phones setup so that an inbound call rings all the phones and whoever is available will answer the call. OK so far as a shared line appearance does this just fine. The problem is no more calls can come in. The line shows as busy even though I've got 9 more people waiting for a call to come in. Customers just get a busy signal. These same people can't make a call out until the first conversation is over as the line shows it's in use. 10 phones but only one conversation in or out can be going on at a time.

Cisco says this isn't possible and the work-arounds they provide are not acceptable since they only ring one phone at a time. (Basically forward on no-answer to the next phone.)

I've looked at the product from Berbee which will get the job done but it requires CM 3.3 and I'm on 3.2 for the forseable future.

Anyone have any good ideas? Is there another product like Berbee's that will work with CM 3.2? Is this going to ever be a feature in CM?

4 REPLIES
Blue

Re: How do I get a shared number to handle multiple calls?

Unfortunately nothing available our Hunt Group application. Just curious, what is the hold up of upgrading to 3.3?

Andy Dignan - Berbee

What's the hold up?

Time, money, staff... you know, the usual stuff!

While I don't have solution for you (there really isn't one), IOS Telephony Services has a feature called dn-overlay which handles this perfectly. You would create 10 shared lines, which you "overlay" on a single button. You would create a CFB chain from the 1st line through the 10th, but because all 10 of those lines are overlaid on top of one button, the desired functionality you are looking for would be replicated.

ITS has a number of features that CCM really needs to implement, and quickly.

I can't speak to whether or not dn-overlay will come to CCM, but it certainly couldn't hurt to lean on your Account Team and continue to suggest it.

That's an excellent idea. I hadn't even thought about using ITS. It would be a hack since it would be managed outside of CM but it would sure work around the problem. Now I just need to scrounge up some decent routers to run it on...

Thanks for the tip.

Views
Helpful
Replies