cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I get rid of old Unity users in a multiple Exchange site?

tom-ryan
Level 1
Level 1

I just updated a test bed at a customer site from Unity 2.46 to 3.15. The installation went fine, but when I try to import users into Unity, the previous users do not show up in the import list. I'm assuming that it's because the old users list resides somewhere on one of their replicated Exchange boxes.

We didn't run the uninstaller for 2.46 because the old Unity was so messed up that the uninstaller hung and would not complete. We wiped the drive Unity was on, reinstalled everything (including Exchange 5.5) and reloaded Unity 3.15. Because we couldn't run the uninstaller, the old Unity folders were still resident on the main Exchange server and 2 others at different locations. Now I can only import users that were not resident on the old version of Unity.

I have tried to go into each Exchange server and delete the contents of the Unity folders. However, this didn't solve the problem. Is there any resolution to my dilema?

Thanks

Tom Ryan

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Those mail users will still be "Stamped" as Unity subscribers so the local Unity server thinks they're associated with another Unity server on the network and wont let you import them.

you need to open Exchange in raw mode (use the "-r" command line parameter when you open the admin). Select the subscriber you want to look at and hit view raw properties (shift enter). In there you'll see a list of all the attributes on the user which includes hidden custom attributes. 12 and 14 are of interest to us... if you see values in there, delete them and then try reimporting the user.

I believe, actually, if you just delete 14 that will be enough for the import to be allowed.

If I remember correctly the CSV import tool for Exchange 5.5 will let you modify any attribute on any user in bulk (i.e. you export the info out to a CSV, rip through and change the value you want and reimport it...). You can check out the CSVHeader tool for 5.5 which has a list of all the column headers you can kick around, you might be able to do this quickly for large numbers of folks that way if you're in a spot.

Jeff,

You're amazing! That did the trick. Incidentally, I did need to clear out both custom attributes 12 and 14.

Many thanks

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: