Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

poh

How do I move subscribers and all other properties to new unity server?

Current unity 3.1 server is dual integrated to callmanager and avaya pbx. we want the current unity server only contain subscribers for avaya pbx and move all subscribers and all respective unity properties for callmanager over to a new unity 3.1 server. How should I proceed and what tools should I use to accomplish this? BTW, these servers are voice mail only...no unified messaging. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: How do I move subscribers and all other properties to new un

There's no tool available for 3.x and ealier that can move single subscribers between servers - for 4.0(1) and later the Global Subscriber Manager tool has an option to rehome a subscriber on another Unity server in the same dialing domain - it moves everything including phone password, greeting, voice name etc... however it reilies on a number of new stored procedures and updates in the SQLSyncSvr service that didn't get in until the 4.0(1) release so it wont work on ealier versions of Unity. This tool leaves the mailbox store the user is pointing at alone - if you want ot move the subscriber to a different mailbox store you can use the Migrate Subscriber Data tool which will reome the user's mailbox on another Exchange mailbox and, optionally, move their messages over as well using ExMerge in the background.

If you can't get to 4.0(1/2) then the only options available to you is to delete the subscriber on the first server and readd them on the 2nd server - you can manually save their greetings and voice name if you need to and you can move their messages to a new mailbox if needed (i.e. if you're homing these users on local Exchange installs on each Unity vs. off box).

poh

What do you think if I were to do the following?

1. Use DIRT to backup the current server

2. Use Bulk Subscriber Delete to remove users for callmanager off the current server

3. Use DIRT to restore to new server

4. Use Bulk Subscriber Delete to remove users for avaya pbx of the new server

Thanks in advance.

Cisco Employee

So these two servers are not on the same network (i.e. there is no shared directory here)? If that's the case then that will work - sorta - the bulk subscriber delete doesn't remove mailboxes or AD accounts for you - you'll have to do that on your own in ADUC...

poh

these two servers will be on the same network...the plan is to make the current unity server only contain avaya pbx subscribers no longer dual integrated and the new unity server only contain callmanager subscribers.

Cisco Employee

If both boxes are using the same directory then this isn't going to work - when you do a DiRT restore it'll find the users in the directory by Directory ID/RDN/Alias and then "stamp" them as being subscribers on the box you're doing the restore on... this will cause all kinds of problems with the original box.

IF these where both voice mail only servers in their own directories this would work OK but if they're both on the same directory as you seem to indicate, that method wont fly. You're either going to have to get to 4.0x and migrate using GSM or you're going to have to remove them and reimport them on the new box.

poh

Seems I will have to move them manually because I don't think the customer wants to upgrade to 4.0. You mentioned, "you can manually save their greetings and voice name if you need to and you can move their messages to a new mailbox if needed (i.e. if you're homing these users on local Exchange installs on each Unity vs. off box). " How would I move their greetings, voice names, messages, etc.?

BTW, the DIRT and Bulk Subscriber Delete idea was from a TAC Case (E053528) I opened if you're interested in speaking with the engineer that suggested this.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content