Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a new call handler that works?

I need to create call handlers in Unity to transfer calls to a non subscriber. When I create a new one, it doesn't work (I get an error: "sorry, there is no operator available at this hour"). When I create it using an existing call handler, it works (the call goes to the proper extension). What am I doing wrong? I made the owner the same as the one that worked. I'm apparently missing something. Any idea what? Thanks.

Note: the existing call handler was, itself, created using the operator call handler.

6 REPLIES

Re: How to create a new call handler that works?

Hello -

Check your Call handler and see if the Messages Section has either a subscriber or distribution list selected for the Message Recipient. I have experienced this same type of problem when a designated message recipient was not set (even if no messages were to be taken).

Sincerely,

Ginger

Cisco Employee

As Ginger notes, it could be the message recipient - however in that case you should be sent to the failsafe conversation (i.e. "I'm sorry I can't talk to you now") and not the operator.

It could also be a different set of greetings being enabled - this throws a lot of folks off. When you create a new one it uses the primary call handler for the Example Administrator as its template - the alternate greeting may be enabled or whatever - I normally have folks check 3 things when a handler is not working properly as you describe:

1. Make sure the owner and message recipients are set to valid subscribers or DLs.

2. Enable the alternate greeting and make sure the greeting is recorded - you can change it later but for testing I always have folks do this to rule out a different greeting triggering and throwing you off.

3. Enable the alternat transfer rule and make sure it's set to go where you want - again, this prevents problems with the wrong transfer rule triggering and throwing you off.

Also, you can run the latest dbWalker off www.CiscoUnityTools.com to see if the call handler itself is mal formed - although I suspect a greeting issue here myself - smells like an alternate greeting kicking in that is not recorded or the like.

It was a generic "a subscriber" in there. I changed it to a subscriber test account. When I entered the extension, it went to the test vmail greeting instead of ringing the number. I checked the working call handler, it goes to a public distribution list, unaddressed messages. I built another call handler and put that in there, it gives me the unaddressed messages greeting, instead of ringing the extesion I put in. Anything else I can try?

Cisco Employee

it's almost certainly the wrong greeting rule or contact rule being activated - I'd bet money on it. See my previous post right above yours...

The alternate transfer rule did it! It was enabled but configured to go to greeting. I set it to go to ring an extension and it does. This issue is resolved. I'm curious though, why would it use the alternate routing rule when I have it set to Standard? This is Unity 3.1.5. I've always had problems with new call handlers working, this is probably why. Thanks again.

Cisco Employee

The primary call handler for the example administrator (which is used when no call handler is passed in to act as a template) has the alternate transfer rule enabled by default (subscribers only use the one transfer rule, the alternate) - this over rides the off hours and standard rules just like the alternate greeting over rides all other greetings when its active.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content