Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to discipline phone user ?

Dear, all,

Have a question about how can we discipline our phone users.

We are using CUCM 6.0(1). Let me explain the problem.

It's not the rare case when an IP Phone user has got several line appearances (LA), or lines.

Let it be 2 LAs for simplicity in my example for target user (the one who receives the incoming calls).

a) Please imagine the situation when the user has got an active call: it means he has a conversation with somebody. b) Then 2nd incoming call arrives onto 2nd LA: it means the user can see that his 2nd LA's change its display status.

The user can see calling pty number or name, if available. The short sound might also occur, as I can remember.

c) Then user decides should he answer the call or not. If not, he simply doesn't answer 2nd LA until it disconnects. No criminal at all.

d) Later calling pty makes a complain to system administrator about the target user does not answer the incoming call while this user is in the office and near his desk phone.

e) On the other hand target user can deny the fact he saw the incoming call from appellant (user who is complaining).

Would it be possible to force the autoconnection or something functionality for such a kind of users ?

You know, irrespective of target user's wilingness to answer incoming calls, make all his incoming

calls answered in forced mode ? Of course, this should be accomplished only for state where at least

one active call exists for target user.

The principal methodology and specific implementations of course can be different in comparison of my description.

All the ideas will be highly appreciated.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: How to discipline phone user ?

Hi Tobivan,

Hope all is well :) These type of situations are always very tricky. Really, this is more of a Manager/User problem than a "technology" problem. The fix must come via other methods than through forcing the user to answer these calls. The appellant should always be referred to the Manager of said offending user for resolution. There may be many reasons for the user not answering multiple calls and the only time for the Voice Admin to get involved is if the issue is Training or Fault related.

As the Voice Admin our role should not include "policing" users. We can only help provide the means for Calls to be handled appropriately but we cannot dictate the methodology used. We must remain an Ally not an Adversary in these situations :) It's always better for all involved if we can help find the "root" problem rather than impose an unwanted fix.

Just my thoughts on this Tobivan,

Rob

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi, consider that it's impossible to credibly claim e) as there is a very audible call waiting beep.

So it's almost the same as not answering a call when free, it is also conceivable that certain second calls are answered depending on the caller seen.

This said I had to write a TCL/IVR for customers because they wanted the ability for certain callers to know if the called is busy and getting call waiting beep. I put a voice advice but an alternative would be a special busy tone.

Hi,

to Rob,

Thank you for your thoughts. They are really aprreciated.

to Paolo,

Could please explain this indention in more details ?

{

This said I had to write a TCL/IVR for customers because they wanted the ability for certain callers to know if the called is busy and getting call waiting beep. I put a voice advice but an alternative would be a special busy tone.

}

I'm in doubt it would be possible for us to write TCL/IVR. We had no such a skill.

How is it possible to put alternative (special) busy tone ? Where it is configured in CUCM ?

How alternative busy tone will audibly differ comparing to standard busy tone ?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi, I don't think that the CM can present a different ringback depending on extension status, although is a common feature for legacy PBXs.

So I wrote the service for CME, but it should work with the CM also, if using H.323 to the GW.

Currently the script doesn't support transfers but I will have to add that at some point.

Paolo,

Can you, please, describe in more details how does it work in terms of technology ?

Is it possible for you to share the script ? Does it CUCM's version dependable ?

AFAIK TCL scripts are adressed from POTS dial-peers. Does this you case ?

I've heard also about VXML, which requires only H.323 gw (not MGCP). Does this you case ?

Thank you.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi, the script would work in H.323 or SIP to the CM. It is be triggered by a VOIP DP. Remember, currently doesn't support transfers. You can access it at:

http://pbevila.fastmail.fm/public/camp-on.tcl

Example configs are in the script itself.

Thanks for the appreciation and good luck!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content