cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to tell if your phone is running SIP or Skinny?

apcgabe
Level 1
Level 1

How do you tell if your 7960 is using SIP or Skinny? Are they're any benifits for using one or the other, what are the features and why would you use one over the other? Also how can you change the codec that the phone uses for "on hold" music? I am fairly new to this, about a day of experience so far :) so forgive my excessive questions.

2 Replies 2

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

One way to tell would be to press the Settings Button on the 7900 series phone>>>>Slect Model Information>>>>Scroll to Application Load. the firmware for SCCP (Skinny Client Control Protocol) starts with P00..... The firmware for SIP starts with P0S.......

Another method (if you are using CCM) would be to select System>>>>Device Defaults then look under Load Information for the 7900 series sets.

CCM uses the SCCP by default. I'm not familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of SIP over SCCP so I can't answer your question.

The MOH Codec is at: On CCM select Service>>>>Service Parameters>>>>Select Call Manager>>>>Select Service "Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming App" Then the field is "Supported MOH Codecs. I've heard the MOH doesn't sound very good on codecs other than 711.

Larry

Thank you, perfect :)