Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to test DSPs in 3825 ISR?

I notice in 12.4(4)T my test dsp all doesn't return any output. Is there a document on CCO on how to test the DSPs in a new ISR?

I have a channel 16 with either a IOS problem or a bad DSP;

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/signalling/EM_PARK_digital_CAS.html

There are two possible, major reasons for the time slot to be stuck in the EM_PARK state:

The digital signal processor (DSP) is bad; either hardware or software issues.

The PSTN switch/PBX is sending a continuous offhook signal to the router and not releasing it.

T1 with CAS signaling, channel 0/0/0:16 is stuck in this S_WAIT_RELEASE_NC, EM_PARK condition; in the hunt group when a call hits 0/0/0:16 line they hear dead air then fast busy. Not sure what is wrong and how to fix it other than shut/no shut the interface!

ACD-3825-A1#sh voice call summ

PORT CODEC VAD VTSP STATE VPM STATE

============== ======== === ==================== ====================

0/0/0:0.1 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.2 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.3 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.4 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.5 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.6 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.7 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.8 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.9 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.10 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.11 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.12 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.13 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.14 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.15 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.16 None - S_WAIT_RELEASE_NC EM_PARK

0/0/0:0.17 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.18 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.19 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.20 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.21 g711ulaw n S_CONNECT EM_CONNECT

0/0/0:0.22 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.23 - - - EM_ONHOOK

0/0/0:0.24 g711ulaw n S_CONNECT EM_CONNECT

ACD-3825-A1#

6 REPLIES

Re: How to test DSPs in 3825 ISR?

I tried a test dsp device all, no output, I’ve forgotten how to test DSPs, and it looks like the ISR tests are different.

I did a shut no shut on the T1 and this channel 16 stays up/seized. Is there a way to put a CAS channel out of service?

0/0/0:0 16 e&m-wnk up up seized idle y

I tried a test dsp device all, no output, I’ve forgotten how to test DSPs, and it looks like the ISR tests are different.

I did a shut no shut on the T1 and this channel 16 stays up/seized. Is there a way to put a CAS channel out of service?

0/0/0:0 16 e&m-wnk up up seized idle y

Silver

I ran across this recently, and used it to test dsps on the NM-HDV2 in a 3845 (which actually proved there weren't any, as I suspected). We also ran it on the motherboard slot, where there were some, I think it actually ran but then I think we had to reboot the router. However, I think this is also the command we were told to use on the 1760 dsps, so if you can reboot the device if there is a problem, you could try it - I can verify the other when I get in to the office tomorrow:

Step 1: Issue the test voice driver Command

Issue the hidden test voice driver command in enable mode to query the DSPs. This command determines if the DSPs are responsive.

Note: A hidden command is one that cannot be parsed with a ? command and for which the Tab key cannot be used to auto-complete the command. Hidden commands are not documented. Some of the output is used strictly for engineering purposes. Hidden commands are not supported by Cisco.

The next output example is from the hidden test voice driver command for a Cisco 2691 router with an NM-HDV-2T1/E1 in Slot 1, with Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(11)T. A PVDM2-16 is installed in DSP Bank 0, a PVDM2-32 in DSP Bank 1, a PVDM2-48 in DSP Bank 2, and a PVDM2-64 in DSP Bank 3. Obtain information for a given voice router with an NM-HDV2 Network Module installed with the show diag command.

Note: If you use a console to access the gateway, logging console must be enabled to see the command output. If you use Telnet to access the router, terminal monitor must be enabled to see the command output.

c2691#test voice driver

Enter VPM or HDV or ATM AIM or NM-HD-xx or HDV2 slot number : 1

HDV2 Debugging Section;

1 - FPGA Registers Read/Write

2 - TDM tests

3 - 5510 DSP test

4 - DSPRM test

5 - HDLC32 test

6 - Register location check

7 - Interrupt counters.

8 - Quit

Select option :

Select option 3 from the menu, followed by option 17 from the next table of options which appear. This triggers Cisco IOS Software to query the DSPs to determine if they are responsive or not. If a response is received, the DSP reports DSP N is Alive, State: 4. This declares that the DSP with ID N functions properly. If the Cisco IOS Software does not receive a response, the DSP reports DSP N is not UP, State: 3.

caution Caution: You should only use the testing options discussed in this document. If you select other options, it causes your router to reload or causes other problems to occur.

This is an example of the output that is generated after you select option 3 followed by option 17 from the menus:

c2691#test voice driver

Enter VPM or HDV or ATM AIM or NM-HD-xx or HDV2 slot number : 1

HDV2 Debugging Section;

(items removed for post size, see doc for details)

Select option : 17

DSP Keepalive Status Display:

=============================

DSP 1 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 2 Not Exist

DSP 3 Not Exist

DSP 4 Not Exist

DSP 5 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2994

DSP 6 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2994

DSP 7 Not Exist

DSP 8 Not Exist

DSP 9 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 10 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 11 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 12 Not Exist

DSP 13 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 14 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 15 is Alive, State: 4, Keepalive Sent: 2992, Skip 2993

DSP 16 is not UP, State: 3, Keepalive Sent: 2951, Skip 2951

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a008039c316.shtml

Mary Beth

Silver

Also, when we have had hung dsps, we were not able to clear them with anything but a reload, but then we tried clear voice dsp, and that seemed to do it, at least for the bug we were experiencing - I do not think it works under all circumstances, but worth a try.

Mary Beth

test voice dsp didn't seem to work, it wanted a HDV/AIM or module other than what was the ISR motherboard.

I gambled and did a reload, afterwards port 0/0/0:16 is staying on-hook/idle, fixed!

IOS is flash:c3825-advipservicesk9-mz.124-3b.bin

Silver

Well, I could not find anything about testing dsps on the ISR motherboards, the problem where we had done some recent testing was analog ports, although the bug does mention it can happen on digital cas, but they give no test method for digital - it also looks like if it is only one port, it was not your problem, but one to watch for, we have a rash of them:

CSCsc11833

Symptoms: An analog or digital CAS port gets into a state where inbound and/or outbound calls through the port may no longer work.

I do have a customer with CAS on older platform/code, who had a problem just like yours, might go a year between, I really suspect that something happens on the phone line, but reload always clears it up for him. In one failure a sh voice dsp showed the dsp just gone, so I had suggested he swap the dsp, but I don't think he ever bothered, since it was so infrequent.

Mary Beth

Views
Helpful
Replies