Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer a person directly to Unity voicemail (no ringing).

I've seen all the other posts on this topic regarding a link to a page that tells how to set this up. I set it up using the known method but my customer is stating that this used to work a different way and they do not want to retrain the employees to use the "new" way. They said the old way was done like the following: Users hit the transfer softkey, then the messages key or Unity ext., then the subscribers Extension, then the transfer key again. They said this worked in the past but then suddenly stopped working. Now when they do it the subscribers phone rings. It should work so that the subscriber phone does not ring but instead goes right to voicemail. Does anyone know how this might be set up to work the way they're used to?

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: How to transfer a person directly to Unity voicemail (no rin

I'm not sure what "new" way you suggested to them - there are several out there on the tech tips page. The one you describe doesn't have anything at all to do with Unity since it's the phone system forwarding the call to uas directly without ringing the phone. The steps you describe don't match up exactly but this tech tip sounds like the closest match:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/transfer_voicemail.html

The "new" way is the one you sent in the link above. They didn't like it because it was different than the way they used to do it (as I explained above). Just out of curiousity, when you say CCM deals with sending the call directly to voicemail (which I understand), how does the voicemail system know not to ring the subscriber when CCM sends the digits? How does it know to go directly to voicemail? Thanks for your help. I'll keep playing with this and see if I can get it the way they want it. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Cisco Employee

It just forwards the call directly to Unity as a forward busy/RNA. When a call comes into Unity from an extension forwarded RNA/Busy we automatically skip the transfer rule for the subscriber/handler and go right to the greeting rules - this prevents us from getting into a "transfer loop" where we ring a phone, it forwards to us, we ring the phone again etc... until the ports are all chewed up.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content