Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Hunting across PRI route groups

CCM 4.1(3), 3845 MGCP gateway

We have 5 PRIs from our LEC, which handle inbound and outbound local calling. The inbound hunt order is ascending starting at PRI 1 (so first call arrives from CO on PRI1:1, second PRI1:2, etc...). We have the PRIs in a single route group, hunting from 5 to 1, descending (first call goes out PRI5:23, etc...).

It is my understanding that sending outbound calls in the reverse order (descending) from the inbound is best practice. What are the risks of sending outbound as ascending as well?

I ask because we have been asking for traffic data from the LEC. The traffic studies they provide can only measure each PRI separately. This causes blockage data to be difficult to extract, since the point at which blockage begins occurs somewhere in the middle of the group (where inbound calls meet outbound calls).

If the groups were ordered identically, We could calculate actual blockage by looking at the effective blockage on the last PRI.

Again, what is the risk of ordering inbound and outbound the same way?

1 REPLY

Re: Hunting across PRI route groups

Shortly after entering the original post, I realized that I was suffering from a deficient concept of what was happening when a call was blocked. I realized that, no matter where the inbound and outbound calls intersect, the next (busy) call will still hunt all the way to the last channel of the last PRI and not stop at the inbound/outbound "boundary."

Please don't spend any time thinking about the original post.

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies