Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ics7750 w/unified messaging

Are there any limitations that I should be aware of running unified messaging on the 7750 platform? IIRC is it not supported with the Exchange 2000 server off of the blade? and if it is not supported why not? couldnt I A: just point it at an exchange 2000 server on the LAN like i would in any other config? If that does not work or is not supported why not or couldnt i B: run exchange on the blade and use a smtp connector to send the mail to the real EX2K box? <br>The software for unity seems very inexpensive for the 7750 so i am concerned. My Vendor told me that The item # ICS-UNITY-4/25 is the unity unified messaging software fot the 7750. is this not true? <br>I have read that unified messaging is not offered but in theory i am pretty sure i could at least get the voice mails delivered to the users inbox but perhaps it would only show up as an attachment?? I Have never installed unity without unified messaging so is there a software limitation that would prevent this?<br> any help is greatly appreciated.<br><br>Network Engineer<br>Crimson Technologies Inc.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by unload on 4/29/02 07:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
6 REPLIES
Gold

Re: ics7750 w/unified messaging

UM is not supported because you can't buy it. Remember that UM cost about twice as much as plain old voice mail. It's not that it will not work; just Cisco has decided not to sell it at this point in time. If you have a customer that required UM you need to buy a standalone system. Customers that install UM on the ICS will not be supported.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

thank you for your reply. This is unfortunate. Hopefully this decision will be reconsidered sometime soon. I am sure that there is a reason other than "because you cant buy it". If possible could you please share a technical explanation for this decision. I would like to beleive that this decision was based on more than just " we dont want to support it".

Network Engineer
Crimson Technologies Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

I believe the reason was to keep the licensing costs down since the ICS 7750 is aimed at a low-end target market compared to the Unified Messaging offerings. The Microsoft database and message storage software that Unity uses has strictly defined license requirements which affect the overall cost.

Also, the complexities of Unified environments vs. non-unified usually results in more calls to TAC. The ICS 7750 is supposed to be relatively simple to install and configure. Adding support for unified messaging (and the TAC resources to handle this) might price it out of the market it's intended for.

I hope this helps shed some light on your question.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Anonymous
N/A

Scott Morgan is right on the nose. To offer UM on the ICS 7750, the solution becomes very complex and the price would increase dramatically. There are also licensing complexities and performance testing that would need to be done. The team who determines what configurations are tested and offered with the ICS 7750 does have UM on the roadmap, but it is pretty far out.

Jami Stewart

Jami Stewart
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

i do appreciate your reply. I realize that the 7750 is a great solution for a smaller company and after working with two for more than a year i think a it's a great product. Not to be argumentative,especially with TAC :-) , but in terms of cost, the money a corp saves on hardware with ICS would easily allow them to purchase UM Licenses. In terms of performance Unified messaging with ICS would only help because you could just point at an already existing Exchange server. The most resource intensive part of unity from a memory(exchange 2k especially) and disk read/write performance perspective would be off blade.The current supported config for voicemail only on the 7750 involves loading exchange 2k on the blade which performance wise, makes little sense if performance was a factor in the decision. In terms of complexity, loading binaries on a hard drive on a blade and having it communicate with an exchange server on the network is no more or less complex than on a server in my opinion. Again I am just expressing my opinion, and i am aware that the decision has been made anf there is little I am going to do to change that. I still think 7750 is an excellent product and will continue to recommend it to clients. Thanks.

Network Engineer
Crimson Technologies Inc.

Edited by unload on 5/1/02 02:32 AM.

Gold

Reasons for marketing decisions are Cisco confidential. I can assure you that there are NO technical limitations in the product.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Views
Helpful
Replies