cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Import of 4 users failed from Exchange 2000

mmitchell
Level 1
Level 1

I have sucessfully imported about 355 users from the exchange 2000 server. 4 user's accounts appear to be stubborn. When I try to access them to make modification in Unity (searching on their name and then click on the resulting link) I get redirected to a page not found error in IE. The persons extension as the value of N/A. I ran directory walker and it flagged the entries but was unable to correct them. Any thoughts.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

sounds like the import bailed out part way through creating these users and left their call handlers pointing at the template's owner - as such dbWalker wont pick them up as orphans and remove them for you since technically they are not orphaned (i.e. their assigned owner does, indeed, exist). Can you confirm that dbWalker just flagged the errors such as empty extensions but did not indicate they were orphaned handlers?

If that's the case, you'll have to delete those primary call handlers for those 4 subscribers manually out of SQL or DPT to get rid of them. Their call handler alias will be "ch_(subscriber's alias)" - be careful to get the right ones, there's no "undo" here.

Then you'll likely have to clean the AD accounts for those 4 users in the directory using remove subscriber properties (you didn't say which version of Unity you were running but this SHOULD be in the tools depot). Then you can import them again from the SA one at a time and see if they fail - if so something's up with their properties/permissions/container etc... in AD we'll have to run down.

Unity 3.1.4

is the DPT still password protected?

For write access, DPT is sitll password protected. You won't need the password to read.

I'm having the exact same issue while trying to import an existing exchange user

An unrecgonized error has occured, The new subscriber was not successfully added.

In the SQL table [subscribers] I see the bad user with NULL in many of the fields. I delete him and try the import again. Same error

Unity 3.14/ W2K / Exchange 2000 / Unified messaging with user message store on corporate exchange server.

A large portion of cases like this are due to permissions issues. Unity wasn't entirely great about letting the admin know about failures on creating/updating/deleting directory objects. CSCdy02120 was created just for this reason. This has been addressed in 3.1.5 and there should be event log errors posted when these failures occur.

One thing that you could tried is to set all of the AvDSAD traces and reproduce the import failure. The traces aren't entirely friendly to read. However in this case, I'd expect to see some "LDAP..." failures in that log. Finding that failure usually points to the problem.

The AvDSAD service is the service that is doing the grunt work of creating/updating/deleting Unity objects in the directory. The service account that the AvDSAD sevice is running as will have to have modify (for import) and create (for SA create) permissions in the Domain/container where the directory objects reside.

Your LDAP suggestion pointed me in the correct direction. It turns out that those users that wouldn't import had an active directory setting that prevented the unity service user from having rights to those user objects.

In the AD admin tool, from view, check the advanced features option.

highlight the user and double click. On the security tab the allow permissions to propagate checkbox was not checked. As soon as i checked this I could import those users.

cool...

just so folks know, the Customer Applications Team is going to be releasing a new tool that will let you log in as the Unity service account, select a specific user in AD and it'll test all the modifications we need to make to that user to make them a subscriber - if any one of them fails it'll kick out info on what failed and, if known, why - this should help speed the diagnostic process when this type of thing happens. Should be posted on AnswerMonkey in a few weeks after the new Message Store Manager is released.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: