cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

importing users from Exchange

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I'm trying to import users from Exchange but when I bring up the list of Exchange mailboxes most of them are missing. What criteria does Unity use to display an available list of Exchange mailboxes to import?<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Three things I see fairly often with this type of problem.

First, we can only import mail users as subscriber if they are in the same Exchange site as Unity. We are not able to log into mailboxes to check messages, monitor for inbox state changes etc... across a site boundary.

Second, if someone uninstalled Unity improperly (i.e. just yanked it off the network or just deleted the Unity folder out of Exchange etc...) it will leave "stranded subscribers". The mail users in the directory will still be "stamped" as subscribers and we wont offer them for import. You can use the updated dbWalker utility off my web site to help with this scenario or you can open Exchange in raw mode and delete the "voice mail user id" property from the users. Then you'll see them offered for import.

Third, the mail users must have 'Allow rich text' enabled on their Exchange account. For various reasons some sites lock this down. Microsoft overloads this flag to also mean the user is a "MAPI recipient" which is necessary for us. Again, open Exchange in raw mode (use the "-r" parameter on the Exchange administrator applet) and view all the properties on a mail user you don't see offered. If the "allow rich text" is empty or 0, set it to 1. You may need to wait for a bit before Unity picks the person up in the directory (i.e. if they're homed off box the change needs to replicate around).

I'm betting one of those will be your problem...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Exchange and Unity are in the same site, I didn't uninstall Unity, and rich text is enabled. What else?

Not applicable

Are these users hidden from the address book by any chance? If you're running Unity 2.4.6, check out this post and check the registry setting to be sure you have us configured to be able to find users that are hidden.

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=2203&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=HKLM&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=3months&Main=2169

You checked the raw properties for the allow rich text (not the rich text on the regular Exchange admin interface... that's not the same thing)? Even though you didn't remove Unity, please check the raw properties to see if the "voice mail user id" is set to 1 or not... as long as you're in checking for the allow rich test in the raw properties, this will just take you a second to look for.

If none of those is the case, we'll have to get in and look around. Those are the only filters we make when looking for mail users to allow for import so if it's not showing you those users you have something new and excieting wrong with your Exchange configuration that we'll have to investigate.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: