Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound calls from PSTN are masked as 911 when transfered

hwilms
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a strange one here. I have call manager 3.3 sr1 and Unity 4.02 VM only config. I have a 2610 with NM-HDA running 12.2(15)ZJ2. When a call from the outside is transfered via the Opening greating to a subscriber the caller id displayed on the phone says "from 911". This only happens if the call originates from the outside.

8 Replies 8

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Are you doing a release to switch transfer or a supervised transfer? What do you see for caller ID if you transfer a call from the outside to another phone?

The SCCP protocol which Unity uses to communicate with CallManager doesn’t allow for the caller ID to be manipulated by an endpoint. As such, I would expect you to see the same thing if you transfer a call from one phone to another.

Hope this helps...

Keith

All the subscribers and handlers are set up to switch transfer. All inbound calls are answered via the auto attendant. Internal calls from IP phone to IP phone seem to transfer with the proper ID. This seems to only happens when Unity transfers an outside call to a subscriber.

All the subscribers and handlers are set up to switch transfer. All inbound calls are answered via the auto attendant. Internal calls from IP phone to IP phone seem to transfer with the proper ID. This seems to only happens when Unity transfers an outside call to a subscriber.

At the risk of getting tagged with a "1" trying to help here...

Unity can't change the calling number information like that even if we wanted to - our ports are just like phones - honest.

did you use a phone in the same calling search space that the Unity ports are in when testing calls coming in from outside and then transfering them to another phone internally? The chances of this being related to Unity are almost nil - I'd be banging on the IP Telephony forum for some help here since I'll bet you dimes to doughnuts the problems is a translation happening somewhere along the line here.

My intent was not to upset anyone. I was just looking for more info. Thanks

hwilms
Level 1
Level 1

Just some more info. I took one of my analog lines that were connection plared to the AA extension and connection plared it to an Ip phone. When I call the the analog line the IP phone rings and displays "unknown called Id" NOT 911, so Wouldn't that point to Unity that is causing the issue.

To be clear, Unity acts just like a phone, which has no control over setting the callerID on a transfer, that’s all centralized by CCM. To prove this, I would suggest you put a sniffer on the network and make the test call. You’ll see the following:

Unity hits transfer button

Unity dials the target number(s)

Unity hits transfer button again

Unity hangs up

It has no control over what is displayed on the transfer target’s phone, you will see no mention of callerID or 911. CCM does that. Sniffing the target phone, you’ll see two CallInfo messages, the first will show Unity information for callerID (from the first transfer/dial), then one that will show the original callerID which in your case will likely be “911”.

This has to be either a CCM or gateway configuration issue. While you’re sniffing, watch the original call into Unity, I would bet you’ll see CCM presenting the call with a callerID of 911 from the gateway.

gary.mattson
Level 1
Level 1

Check the Callmanager Voice Mail Port setting s and make sure the Display field doesn't say 911.