cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbox Size Causes Issues

lkauderer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user with an Outlook Inbox of 400Mb. Is there any known issues with Unity and the size of there inbox. Most of her inbox consists of emails. When she goes to check her voicemail messages from her phone, the system says she has over 100 messages, which she only has 2 voice mail messages. I also have "Announce only new voice mail messages" checked in the conversation setting. I am using version 2.4.5.66. Any ideas why the system is saying she has a message from Dec. of 2000, when we just installed the system?<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

The only known problem with very large inboxes (and I've seen much larger than 400 meg, trust me!) is the time it takes to filter the user's inbox. This is better in 2.4.6 since Exchange 5.5 SP4 now supports multiple threads accessing the message stores of users so only that one user has to wait for this to happen as opposed to everyone in the system taking a hit while we run out and try and figure out how many voice mail messages are stuffed among the hundreds and hundres of new messages in the inbox. Outside of that there's no issues with large mailboxes... what you're describing is how we're supposed to work.

The subscriber conversation currently always gives you your total new message count based on your COS settings (i.e. if you have TTS enabled it will include new emails) regardless of what you have on the subscriber conversations pages settings. If you check the "Announce total number of new voice messages" it will include a specific count for the number of voice mail messages... to be fair this doesn't say "Announce ONLY new voice messages". It was originally meant to be an indicator that you wanted a specific count for each of the messages types indicated AFTER you were told how many total messages were in your box. We don't count past 100 so you'll hear "over 100" as the count in this case.

Yes, I agree this can be annoying, but it is how it was designed to work. If you have fax and TTS enabled for the COS the user is assoiated with you will always get a total count of all emails, voice mails and faxes that are unread in the mailbox and there isn't any way to turn this off unless you remove the TTS/fax option from the COS.

We did have plans to simplify the message count options as part of 3.0 and revamp the message presentation options in general (i.e. dictate the order messages are presented on a per user basis) etc... however these changes were dropped in order to tighten up the schedule... hopefully these changes will get into the next release after 3.0. As usual, please let the product folks know this is an important feature for you so it'll get on the list of stuff to spend resources on.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I confirmed that the TTS is set to off. The only items active are ViewMail for Outlook and Active Assistant. I confirmed the subscriber has "Announce Total Number of New Voice Messages" checked only in conversations. The user has a 300 Mb mailbox, with 4,000 files in her inbox alone. When she dials into Unity, she types in her password, and then is told she has more than 100 messages. Unity then proceeds to say there is a voice message from December 4, 2000. We didn't have Unity turned up until March 26, 2001. There is no way she had voice messages from then. When she deletes the message, it delets an email. Any ideas?

Not applicable

The number of messages in the box shouldn't have any effect like this... I know of at least one case where a user had nearly 10,000 messages in their inbox. It was slow but worked properly.

If I had to guess I'd say you were probably looking at the wrong COS... this doesn't add up. I'd have to call into your system and look to be sure, of course.

When the message is presented, what is it? Does it say its a voice mail? Does it try to play the it via TTS? Each message is identified by type when it's presented over the phone (i.e. it says "an email" or "a voice mail"). I'm extremely skeptical it would be presenting an email as a voice mail and letting you manipulate it and delete it etc... if TTS were turned off for that user. What you're describing is exactly what would be happening if that user were associated with a COS that had TTS on.

If that's not the case, you've uncovered a very big bug that no one else has ever seen. Contact support ASAP.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)