Views
Helpful
Replies

Incoming and Call Hold Scenerio

luchtcm
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Im losing my mind on this one. I wont be in a position to test this until much later tonight or until tomorrow night so I need a sanity check as to whether or not I can do what Im attempting to do.

The customer would like, when we cut over, all incoming calls to go to a live phone number during the day. After hours, it plays the automated attendant standard greeting.

This is what they want to have:

Phone calls coming in first go to the first line of Phone A (7940). If Phone A is busy, give option to hold or leave message. If Phone A does not pick up, send to first line of Phone B (another 7940). If Phone B is busy, give option to hold or leave message. If phone B does not pick up, send to second line of Phone A. Same deal on back to Phone B. If Phone B's second line does not pick up, send to the standard greeting of the AA.

First of all, can we even do the calls coming into a live number during the day and straight to the AA at night? I have a call handler setup so that during standard hours, its supposed to supervise transfer to the first line of Phone A. Without having the ability to call in, I cant test this.

So, 850 is our AA call handler extension. There's a CTI route point setup that says that all calls to go the VM pilot number. Here's the call flow:

Incoming --> 850 --> 210 --> 851 --> 207 --> 852 --> 510 --> 853 --> 507 --> 854 --> Greeting for AA.

What a kludge, right? The 85x are call handlers that do nothing more than supervise transfer calls to the next number.

Will this madness even work?!

CallManager 3.3 with Unity 4.03. We cut over Monday night so Ill need to figure something out before then. If this doesnt make sense, please let me know and Ill try to clarify.

Thanks!

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not entirely sure I grasp the full call path here on an incoming call but I can say it's possible to do something like this by chaining a series of call handlers together - I talk a bit about this in the "Audiotext applications in Unity" paper on the Documents page of www.CiscoUnityTools.com:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Audio%20Text%20Applications%20in%20Unity.doc

The "poor mans hunt group" section in the scenarios list is reasonably close to what you want to do I think.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not entirely sure I grasp the full call path here on an incoming call but I can say it's possible to do something like this by chaining a series of call handlers together - I talk a bit about this in the "Audiotext applications in Unity" paper on the Documents page of www.CiscoUnityTools.com:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Audio%20Text%20Applications%20in%20Unity.doc

The "poor mans hunt group" section in the scenarios list is reasonably close to what you want to do I think.

I read the doc and its got a lot of good stuff in there. The poor man's hunt group will work for what I need it to do except I have one other question.

When a call comes in, the gateway forwards all calls to 850, the initial call handler. What I have setup now is 850 with the greeting set to blank and then forwards off to the first number. Its my understanding from your doc that initially, when a call comes into that first call handler, it always plays that greeting, whether the alternate transfer rule is set to supervise a transfer somewhere else or not. What happens, if Im thinking about this right, is that a call will come in and they're going to get the 'please wait while I transfer your call' and then forward off to the first number in the 'poor mans hunt group'. Correct? If that's the case, that's not going to work as I would think that'd confuse the people calling in.

I guess now where Im at is to have the calls come into some sort of CM hunt group where it rings the first line appearance on the two front desk phones, then forwards off to a simple call handler that says something like, thank you for holding, we appreciate your patience and then can supervise the transfer to the last two line appearances on the phones.

I think. :)

If you can confirm this, Ill mark your message as solving the problem.

I think how you want to do it will work fine...

you can disable the "please hold while I transfer your call..." prompt system wide if you want and you can also work around the transfer over ride thing you talke about (i.e. you can have the handler loop back to itself) or have it bounce to another handler that does the transfer - the over ride only affects the first handler you hit - I talk a bit about this in the doc.

But the method you discuss with a simple handler that plays the greeting will work OK as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: