Views
Helpful
Replies

incoming called-number and answer-address question

acoe
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

Can someone give me a good real world example which explains the difference between the two. Also, for some reason "incoming called-number xx" does not work for me. here is the config:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 222....

port 1/0

!

dial-peer voice 3 pots

incoming called-number 3

destination-pattern 4000

port 1/3

!

dial-peer voice 4 voip

destination-pattern .T

session target ipv4:10.10.10.1

When i dial 3 from another router connected to this router via serial interface phone connected to port 1/3 does not ring???

Any help would be highly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

uversave
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

The incoming called number just makes sure that you match that particular pots peer but if you want to call port 1/3 you will have to dial 4000.

Have a look at this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps501/products_tech_note09186a00800a6dca.shtml

It's not specifically talking about your problem but it does give an example how the incoming-called number command can be used.

And on this URL you find more info on both commands

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

Ullie

I am still confussed. Talking about my example, what good is the fact that "incoming called-number" will be matched in the dial-peer? What if i have 2 phones with same extensions connected to 2 FXS ports on the same router, can i use incoming called-number and answer address to give me the ability to get to both the phones? Could you please elaborate?

The router/gateway selects an inbound dial peer by matching the information elements in the setup message with the dial peer attributes. The router/gateway matches these items in the following order:

1. Called number (DNIS) with incoming called-number

2. Calling Number (ANI) with answer-address

3. Calling Number (ANI) with destination-pattern

The longest prefix matching criteria applies while each step is performed. At each step, if multiple matches are found, the one with the longest explicit match is chosen.

The main advantage of the incoming called number is on the Access Servers, where this command helps the router to associate the call with a dial peer and treated as a Modem Call or Voice Call.

HTH

The concept you need to grasp here is the inbound dial peer match versus outbound dial peer match. Incoming cale dnumber and answer address are used to match inbound dial peers and destination pattern for outbound.

If you have two phones with the same extension, you will configure two different dial peers with the same destination pattern, though it will still not work, the router will only go to one, but you can get it to hunt on busy and stuff like that.

Hope that helps.

Taimoor