Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Individual Aliases for 3000 users

Me again,

This is Unity 3.1(5).

For security sake, my customer has requested that every Alias password be unique.

This is a lot of work to do one by one in the Active Directory, do you have a tool for that?

Another question, I have to size the mailboxes in activer Directory, does anybody have a sizing tool? 3000 is a lot to do manually.

Many Thanks,

Luba M

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Both these are answerd on this thread already...

1. Yes, the message store manager tool.

2. No, we do not edit standing directory account passwords - only phone passwords can be changed on the Unity side of the fence.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

How exactly does your customer plan on enforcing every password be unique? What's the point in that anyway? I would think it would be better to enforce a specific password strength policy than password uniqueness.

For your mailbox sizing needs, check out table 3 in this link for the approximate file size of a 1-minute message using various supported codecs.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/codecs.htm

Then review this link to fully understand Exchange message store limits.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/e2kstore.htm

You can use the table in the first link to do some quick math. 3000 mailboxes storing 100 messages per mailbox in G.711 gives you about a 138 Gig hard drive requirement (about 47 MBs per user). And that's just if this is voice mail only. Once you've decided how many messages you want to limit your users to, it's just a matter of doing the math and configuring the limits.

adam

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For sizing the mailstores in bulk, check out the Message Store Manager here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MSM.htm

There's a help file and training video out there that should get you where you're going - you can do all kinds of things with this guy but setting their mailstore limits is one of them.

No help for the PW uniqueness thing in the directory I'm afraid...

Thanks,

I have already downloaded that and will look at the video. Steve Downing said that the MSM did not work when he tried to use it. But, we will try again.

PW thing is breaking my heart as the customr will be growing to 12,000 users.

If you think of anything, take pity on me.

Many Thanks,

Luba M

If Steve couldn't get it to work I'd like to hear what the problem was... lots of folks using that tool without a hitch.

Okay,

Here are 2 basic questions:

1. Is there a tool that I can use to size the individual mailboxes to trigger the 3 prompts in the Active Directory?

eg: 9000 = your mailbox is getting full

12000 = you cannot send messages

16800 = you cannot send or receive messages

2. The customer is insisting that the Alias password be set individually for each user. They would like to use the telephone number. Is there a tool to do this in Active Directory?

I was told that I was not direct enough.

Thanks,

Luba M

Both these are answerd on this thread already...

1. Yes, the message store manager tool.

2. No, we do not edit standing directory account passwords - only phone passwords can be changed on the Unity side of the fence.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: