cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Install Questions

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We just got Unity 2.4.5 with ActiveFax LF6.5 installed last week. Couple of questions:<br><br>1) Where can I get the install for the Outlook Forms for lightning fax? <br><br>2) The CSID for all outgoing faxes says: Your Company Name. I Set up our company information in SA. Where do I change this?<br><br>3) How do I set up the rasterization server to use Word, Excel, Powerpoint Viewers rather than the full-blown applicaiton.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Samir<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

The short story is with ActiveFax you can't install the Outlook forms from Lightningfax on the client... that was part of the licensing agreement (i.e. we got a good price for the basic fax server but we don't have access to some of the snappy features you get in the full blown LightningFax product).

You can change your cover page information on the fax configuration page in the SA... If you don't have a fax configuration page, you're not running ActiveFax.

Are you running Lightning on a 2nd box (i.e. two box Active Fax) on on the same server with Unity? If it's the same server, you can't do rendering of other document types... it whacks the CPU pretty good and impeeds with our ability to process calls and you do have to get Excel and Powerpoint installed on the box if you want to render those docs... not supported on the Unity server of course. If it's a stand alone fax server you can install whatever you want on there and I can walk you through the registry edits you need to make such that email attachments will go through with those extensions.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Related to this post:
What exactly would I need to install on a stand alone Lightning FAX server to have rasterization done for Word, Excel & Powerpoint. Do I just need to install Word, Excel & Powerpoint viewers. You mention some registry edits?

We previously had LF running on the unity server but have disabled all services now except the LF Gateway. Is is now necessary to install the LF USync on our new fax server in order to keep the Exchange database and LF database synched?

Thanks,

Michele

Not applicable

Yeah, you have to install the application that can print the attachment you want to fax out. LF (like many fax servers) simply uses the application's print option to rasterize it.

Unity, however, will not pass through all attachments by default. The "out of the box" configuration only includes .TXT, .BMP and .TIF. All other attachments are stripped and their names are included in the text of the fax to let you know they were on the original email. Various fax servers handle "illegal" attachments in different ways so we came down on the conservative side of the fence.

You can adjust which attachments Unity will let through in the registry. The Advanced Settings Tool on AnswerMonkey.net's general tools page should expose this for you. It's just a string of file extensions seperated by semicolons. Add whatever your fax server can handle to the list and Unity will let those attachments through when delivering an email to the fax server.

Yes, you will need the USync service on the LF box to keep their local database in synch with what's in Exchange/NT's directory.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)