Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

install stalls

I am doing an install of Unity 2.5.6 the domain that I am attached to is remote. I have been able to replicate the exchage site and pass the SysCheckPreInstall test. The install gets to the point where core services is saving setup information and then it stalls, Win2K indicates the app is not responding and the dialoge never goes past the one half mark of the status bar. When I allowed the install to work all night I came back setup was ready to reboot, but when I restarted although Unity came up I could not get into the Web Page. Trying the install again has brought me to the same place any thoughts on what might be stalling this install. <br><br>Thank you<br>Anthony Duval<br>Systems Engineer<br>Special Order Systems<br>aduval@team-sos.com<br><br>Anthony Duval<br>Systems Engineer <br>Special Order Systems<br>aduval@team-sos.com<br>

14 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: install stalls

I'm not sure what you mean by a remote domain, but I haven't seen the setup take a nap like that. Perhaps you can shed a little more light on how it is you're trying to install Unity... I'm just guessing there's an issue here (i.e. why aren't you doing the install "locally"?). Regardless, if the setup completed and Unity came up, you're golden. Just because you couldn't get into the SA doesn't mean you need to reinstall (that's sort of akin to buying a new car because you locked your keys in the old one).

If Unity did end up coming up OK after you let it go all night (i.e. the status icon shows a green check) all you need to do is make sure you have your NT account associated with the Example Administrator Exchange account or something along those lines such that you can gain access to the SA (there are a number of ways to do this we can walk you through). If Unity's not coming up, we'll need to see what's going on in the event log.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

I guess the install is "local" but the Exchange Site is distributed and the connection is over T1s. The PDC is in another location as are the other servers in the Exchange Site. That said I am at the location where the Unity is being installed and have installed Exchange onto the computer(a DL380) that Unity is being installed to. Setup naps everytime it goes to "saving setup information" it did after core services, after text to speach, and now it is doing it during language files. I am wondering if my not being on the same network is causing the problem.

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

That's probably a good guess... we're doing lots of checks back on accounts and stuff during this process that would be hidding your domain servers. If it's taking a while for the round trip I can see that stalling things out for a while.

but it sounds like it's pressing ahead, right?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I am opening this up again because the Install has not completed and even though the Exchange is replicating and all the Site partners are talking I am still not able to get into the SAWEB and Unity gives an error indicating it could not finsh it's configuration but you can continue and configure mannualy. When I look in the Exchange Administrator I do not see the users that Unity should create, Example-Administrator and Example-Subscriber. In the Security Log I notice that the account I used to install Exchange and Unity, the same account I've been told was used to create the site, gets a failed login attempt when it requests the privlige "SeIncreaseBase Priority". TAC has been very helpful but right now I am advised to reinstall from scratch and the customer is resisting heavly. If I felt absoultly certain that a reinstall would do the trick I might be able to convince the MIS to work with me on that but I have a nightmare that keeps reoccuring where I ask them to move heaven and earth and then Unity still won't install. Is there anywhere else I should be looking for clues?

Thank you
Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

So you completed the install and rebooted... did you run ConfigMgr stand alone to try and create the default database again? If that fails you can check out the diagnostics it kicks out and it should at least show you WHERE it's failing, if not why... which should give us a clue.

it might be as simple as the public DLs it's trying to create already being there and causing a conflict or something.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Ok I ran ConfigMgr it created the Example Admin and Example Sub, in Exchange. The Exchange accounts have no NT account assosiated with them. There is this message in the most recent log: 2001-05-08 19:31:55 (AvLogMgrSvr_MC,10007,diag file opened,) LOGMGR OPENDIAGFILE
19:31:55:984 (AvLogMgrSvr_MC,10001,-1,-1) LOGMGR INITIALIZE
19:31:56:484 (AvRepMgr_MC,17,-1,-1) REPMGR LOGMANAGER INIT SUCCEDDED
19:31:56:515 (AvRepMgr_MC,10,-1,-1) REPMGR INITIALIZE
19:31:56:546 (AvRepDir_MC,10002,-1,-1) REPDIR ERROR NOT FATAL h:\CommSvr\Sources\ReportDirector\AvRepDirSvr\AvRepDir.cpp 4909 0x000003F9
19:31:56:562 (AvRepDir_MC,10002,-1,-1) REPDIR ERROR NOT FATAL h:\CommSvr\Sources\ReportDirector\AvRepDirSvr\AvRepDir.cpp 536 0x000003E8
19:32:52:796 (AvLogMgrSvr_MC,10002,-1,-1) LOGMGR RUN
19:32:52:843 (AvRepDir_MC,10002,-1,-1) REPDIR ERROR NOT FATAL h:\CommSvr\Sources\ReportDirector\AvRepDirSvr\AvRepDir.cpp 571 0x000003E9
19:33:42:984 (AvRepMgr_MC,11,-1,-1) REPMGR CONTINUE RUN
The log before that seems to be all success.
Thank you
Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

OK... I think you're in the clear. The ExampleAdmin/subscriber accounts aren't supposed to be associated with any NT accounts (security concerns). You can associate the Example Administrator with your NT account to gain access to the SA and go ahead and add users/admins and the like.

those repDir errors are nothing to worry about... they're annoying but harmless. It's just looking for some files to delete that it thinks should be there and they aren't. Not a problem.

I think you're system is flying right...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I associated my install account with Example administrator, I stoped and started Unity then I tried stoping and starting the Web service. Still I get this message when I try to log on to the SAWEB
The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later; it does not normally take a long time for an application to restart.

Open the scdcvmsvr home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
HTTP Error 500-12 Application Restarting
Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:
The request cannot be processed while the Web site is restarting.

More information:
Microsoft Support

Thanks
Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

Hmmmm... that's odd. Sounds like the web pages didn't get registered with IIS properly or something.

is this NT or Win2K by the way?

Can you open the IIS administration app and tell me if you see the "SAWeb", "SAHelp", "AVXml" and "Status" pages represented under the "default web" tree? If so, check to make sure they all have execute permissions of scripts and that their security is set for only "integrated windows authentication" and does not have the "anonymous access" checked.

if you're missing one or more of the directories, maybe it was the SA registration process that failed the during the install process that was tripping the rest of the DCS execution down stream. We should be able to slam it in there regardless.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I have all the directories under the Default Web site, Status did not have any permissions so I give it Script Only, which is what everybody else had. After changing the Script permissions I was able to see the Status page, but it did get a script error. Alas, SAWEB the admin page fails to show at all.

Thank you
Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

Whoops previous post I forgot to mention Win2K is the OS.

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

I just saw this in the System event log:
The AvMalSvr service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.
It comes from ServiceControl Manager and it is an Event ID: 7031.

Thanks
Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anonymous
N/A

Hmmmm... if the Mal service (that's our access to the message store) is bailing out on us, we have a deep problem.
Can you grab the TEMPU.LOG file (search the C drive for it, it'll be under your admin's account directory somewhere) and send it our way to look at?

This combined with the other strange problems you were having with the upgrade taking so long at certain sections leave me uneasy about the environment here...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

In my post just before this I believe I may have mentioned that the SAWEB still doesn't come up. Though Unity seems to have.
Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Anthony Duval
Systems Engineer
Special Order Systems
aduval@team-sos.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content