cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installation error message

mslaga
Level 1
Level 1

During the installation process of Unity Enterprise, I am getting an error "Setup was unable to configure default settings on your system. You may continue the setup process and configure the system manually."<br>What is causing this error message and what can I do to prevent it? Also, how do you configure the system manually if there is no default settings?<br><br><br><br><br>Matt Slaga<br>TimeBridge Technologies<br>MCNE, MCSE2k-4.0-3.51, CCNA, CIPT2.0

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Hey Matt.

Depending on the version you’re installing there’s a couple of possibilities.

Versions prior to 2.4.0 may have missed a right or two during the up front check of the account you’re installing with. Check the README file for a run down on the specific rights/permissions in NT and Exchange we need that account to have.

More likely (since I assume you’re installing 2.4.0 120) is a MAPI profile creation issue. Microsoft has had some issues with keeping the various MAPI DLLs used for different client applications mapped right. Since a number of apps use their own MAPI.DLLs (Outlook, Outlook Express and IE among others) they use a single “proxy” MAPI DLL that reads an INI file to determine where the “real” DLLs is and does the switch-a-roo for you. All fine and good, however the file in question has a tendency to get fouled up and ends up routing you (us in this case) to the wrong DLL.

The long and the short of it is we can’t create a messaging profile we need to and the configuration manager fails to get done with it’s business and you’ll see the error you mention. Microsoft does have a tool available to fix this, but it’s not something easy to use that I can just put on my web site… it’s a command line tool that takes some twiddling. The new Unity 2.4.5 install takes care of this on the fly during setup, so this shouldn’t be an issue moving forward. You can create the MAPI profile by hand, however some settings on the profile are not available other than programmatically (i.e. if you want more than 240 or so folks as subscribers on your system you’ll need to create the profile using our setup).

So… all this rambling basically boils down to you should get on the horn to our support folks that can help you fix your MAPI locator file (assuming that’s the issue).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Just for an FYI, here is the fix for the error messages I was getting:

Because we were installing into an existing Exchange environment, the Microsoft Exchange Service Account is the only account that has sufficient rights to create and modify the necessary components on the Exchange environment. After slicking the box and installing Unity 2.4.0.120 under the Exchange Service Account, the installation finished smoothly.

Matt Slaga
TimeBridge Technologies
MCNE, MCSE2k-4.0-3.51, CCNA, CIPT2.0

Not applicable

Out install should have caught that up front before getting too far in the install process. It runs the "Preinstall" version of SysCheck and looks for any errors.

I believe the 2.4.5 version of SysCheck catches this, perhaps the 2.4.0 was missing one of the Exchange checks along the way...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg