cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing a Cisco 7935 IP Conference Station

lkirkland
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to install this device and am running into problems. After connecting the device IAW the instructions, the display comes up with Cisco Systems, INC. Polycom Technology, Copyright 2001 and stops there. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

14 Replies 14

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen a bug where the 7935 will not be put into the voice VLAN when the access switch is configured for trunking to the IP phones. Try hard coding the switchport to be in the voice vlan. The 7935 will take a long time to boot up the first time. This is normal. Let me know if this helps. Good Luck.

The 7935 does not support trunking. SXetup the switchport to be a standard switchport and Vlan = Voice Vlan ID

lkirkland
Level 1
Level 1

I have the switch port set as directed by Cisco with switch port access vlan, no switchport voice vlan, no switchport trunk mode, and no switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q, and it still does the same thing. I have the speed hard coded for 100/full, but cannot set the 7935 for 100/full becasue it will not let me.

Do you have a copy of the config for the switch showing the port the 7935 is connected and showing a port where a 7940 or 60 is connected

Have someone plug in a computer to that switchport that the 7935 is in. Does that computer get an IP address? If so, DHCP is working. Verify that the 7935 is set to use DHCP as someone may have tried to hardcode the IP settings on the phone. Don't forget your option 150 in the DHCP server to point to the publisher.

I called in a case with the TAC, and they sent me a replacement phone. It does the same thing. When i first connected it, it booted up, and did its configuration and obtained a IP address, upgraded the software like it was supposed to and then rebooted. When it came back up that was it. It went right back to the initial screen. I cannot ping the device, I cannot perform any functions from the device keys. How do I check to see if I have option 150 configured?

What VLAN is the port in?

the port needs to be in the voice VLAN. I don't mean configure the voiceVLAN on the switch port, just the NATIVE VLAN for the port should be the whatever VLAN the voice is.

Paul

It is set to access the voice vlan. I cannot check the phone settings as it comes up to the first screen and then stops. I am unable to use the menu functions from the device itself.

Paul,

Here is the config for the port on the 29xx series switch is set for for this device IAW Cisco trouble shooting assistant:

switchport access vlan 9

no switchport voice vlan 9

no switchport mode trunk

no switchport gtrunk encapsulation dot1q

speed 100

duplex full

After checking the contents of the items that were shipped with this device, I noticed that it says that a seperate power cord for the country that you are using the device has to be ordered. Does this device require a special power cord?

If the phone powers up, then you have the right power cord.

If it automatically downloaded a firmware build from CM when you booted it, DHCP option 150 is working - that or you configured it to find the CM statically.

You did not say what phone load you are using? What is the filename? That phone load file could have been corrupted - try downloading the latest phone load from CCO and copying it in and rebooting the phone.

Also, do you have other conf phones? Can you plug your new one into an existing port successfully? Good luck!

Pat

Make sure you are correctly plugging in all the cables. I had an issue where a customer incorrectly plugged in the cables (even though they are keyed) and had the same issue.

gruiz
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with a couple of 7935's. The VLAN is properly configured (Assigned to the voice VLAN directly and not using 802.1q) and it's connected as per the instructions in the manual (proper cables and the proper ends of the cable). What I realized though is that the switch recognizes the mac-address of the 7935 after a few minutes but the DHCP never gives the IP address to the 7935. If I plug my PC to that same port I get almost immediately an IP address from the Voice DHCP scope. BTW, spanning-tree portfast is enabled.

Any help is appreciated as well.

Thanks

Hi,

I've the same problem as you, did you find a solution?

Regards

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: