Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Integrating Cisco CM with a Radio System

Hello,

has anyone every had to integrate CM with a 2-way radio system? The requirement is for the IP phones to be able to call the radios by just dialing an extension and with key-pad enabled radios have the radios be able to dial an IP Phone. There is also a need for multiple concurrent calls between phones and radios. Has anyone ever done this before? ALl replies will be rated!!

Thanks in advance!

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
6 REPLIES

Re: Integrating Cisco CM with a Radio System

Hello,

Yes I've integrated CM with 2-way radios systems. Cisco offers an LMR feature set that started with 12.3-7t.

It is best used when integrated using WAVE (Wide Area Voice Environment) from Twisted Pair Technologies. http://www.twistpair.com.

If you tell me more of your situation radio system etc I can probably help a little bit more.

Patrick Laidlaw

Thanks Patrick,

The radio system has not been decided as of yet. Is they WAVE system and LMR all that would be needed? Basically the customer wants to be able to treat the 2-way radios like an IP phone, calling them with a DN and being able to call an IP Phone from a radio. The conversations should be able to be one-to-one . Any suggestions on a radio system and anything else needed to make this work?

Thanks for responding

Well I'm not exactly a radio guy. The only way I can think of getting a simple two way radio capable of dailing to users is either via tone control Where WAVE comes in to play or by haveing an operator manually connecting it, or voice recognition auto attendant. I haven't played with any voice recognition except for with Mitel VOIP. Most of the LMR to VOIP soltions I've worked with entailed pulling in several different Radio systems and haveing VOIP users dial the conferencing bridge.

If you contact Twisted Pair I'm sure they can point you to one of ther vendors to help carve out a solution.

Patrick

Have you some articles to explain how integrate it? How to install and more.

Thanks.

Well most of the articles can be found on Twisted Pairs website.

The Cisco portion of the install I had to rely mostly on E&M configuration guides for PBX's wasn't a lot of information about it.

The basic jist of the solution is you connect an e&m card or mftp card to a modified connector which connects to the radio. Several different ways of keying up the radio depending on what kind of system whether its a Push to talk, Digital trunk or tone based radio system.

From there you convert it on the router to a voip stream and send it to a server that will converge it into a conference or route it to a phone.

Patrick

I have integrated VHF radios with CallManager using FXS ports and Zetrons.

The Zetrons is a basic radio interconnect that just needs a dialtone (ie FXS).

You connect the Zetron to a repeater..the user uses a command on the DTMF pad on their radio and when they press it the router feeds back dialtone. They can then overdial from the router.

From the CallManager side I put the lines in a DSS/BLF type config and their is a PLAR connection to the radio repeater.

Here is a link to Zetron.

http://www.zetron.com/data/site/templates/ZetronTemplate.asp?_resolutionfile=templatespath|ZetronTemplate.asp&area_0=pages/Menus/PrivateRadioProd&area_1=pages/Products/PrivateRadio/M35A

Patrick

Views
Helpful
Replies