Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Inter-domain gatekeeping

We started using cisco gateways head-to-head to send calls to various

carrier/destinations by statically routing the destinations->gateways.

simple enough, and there is no delay added by doing any sort of lookup on a

per-call basis (this is for a large volume application, PDD is an issue).

I have one route that goes to some sort of softswitch, we don't have to

register our gateway with it, it works fine.

Now, I have a new route, and the carrier is insisting I register with his

gatekeeper. (ok, the calls are failing with "no route to destination", so I

think he's a little confused, but...). Can I do this on a per-route basis

(config dial-peer)? If it's a global-level config, how do I keep our

endpoint from advertising other routes that they have no need to know about?

If this were BGP, how would we control what we announce to an external

Autonomous System? Do I have to setup an administrative zone now as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Inter-domain gatekeeping

I am a bit confused here...

the transition form Telephony to BGP was quite quick for me to grasp, so i am just going to ignore the BGP part:

you can have your GW route specific calls to other destinations statically (without registering to those peers), and still have it route some calls to the softswitch, which i guess is acting as a gatekeeper to your gateway. all you need to do is to add "session target ras" to the voip dial-peer that is pointing at his softswitch. just make sure you make the other static routes as granular as possible to give them a better advantage over the ras route.

if you are conserned about your routers advertising call routes to this gatekeeper, then add the command "no register e164" that should prevent your routes from including pots-assigned numbers in the RAS messages as aliases.

E.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Per route basis registration with the gatekeeper is not possible.

To control the updates to an autonomous system while using BGP, we can implement route filteringby prefix list or BGP Community Filtering.

Filtering by prefix list involves matching the prefixes of routes with those listed in the prefix list. When there is a match, the route is used. The matching is similar to that of the access list.

BGP supports transit policies via controlled distribution of routing information.

You can find more information on this from the following documents:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/np1_c/1cprt1/1cbgp.htm#7510

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/np1_c/1cprt1/1cbgp.htm#5071

I am a bit confused here...

the transition form Telephony to BGP was quite quick for me to grasp, so i am just going to ignore the BGP part:

you can have your GW route specific calls to other destinations statically (without registering to those peers), and still have it route some calls to the softswitch, which i guess is acting as a gatekeeper to your gateway. all you need to do is to add "session target ras" to the voip dial-peer that is pointing at his softswitch. just make sure you make the other static routes as granular as possible to give them a better advantage over the ras route.

if you are conserned about your routers advertising call routes to this gatekeeper, then add the command "no register e164" that should prevent your routes from including pots-assigned numbers in the RAS messages as aliases.

E.

Views
Helpful
Replies