cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent fax machine problems on VG248

EDWARD GAWENDA
Level 1
Level 1

I have numerous fax machines connected to a VG248 that have DID's coming in from either a VG200 PRI or a 2610 PRI. My fax machines are of different brands and makes but they intermittently fail. I have worked with Cisco tac on setting up modem pass-thru but still have the problem. Is this a VG248 issue? I am also having problems getting a decent connect speed on my modems hanging off of the VG248.

6 Replies 6

allan.wells
Level 3
Level 3

Yes everyone is having the same issues it bad news .weather it be the vg248 or blades in the catalyst.

There are major problems I ahve tried mgcp h.323 blades, vg248's,different IOS, you name it the issues are as you mentioned .

Do any of the guys that work at Cisco and post hear want to let us know whats happening fix this massive issue clearly making alot of people unhappy :-(

Its true that some fax machines just dont work, I recall brother faxes being a big problem.

Have you tried to experiment with the fax relay option, we've found that turning it off actually solved a lot of problems.

Gary,

I've had the same experience with the fax-relay check box, un-check it and you get working fax-relay, leave it checked and you get a sort of "fax relay-thru hybrid combination type thingy that may work / may not but what the hell you should have sent it as an e-mail" offering.

Paul

Please can you let me know what version of code you are running on the VG 248 and if any particular faxes are causing problems.

I am about to move 70 faxes onto VG 248s and am interested in any information on this issue.

You should run version 1.1(2)

New and Changed Information

Enabling Fax Relay Per Port

Setting Echo Cancelling Policy

Modifying Serial Settings for Async Ports

Setting and Clearing MWI Messages

Previous Updates

SMDI Support for Voice Mail Integration

Support for Italian Phones

Call Forward Dial-Tone

Actually this particular problem had nothing to do with the VG248 and was a config issue on the voice gateways (VG200 and a 2610). I had to add the following dial-peer to both gateways to get fax passthrough to work correctly.

dial-peer voice 3000 voip

incoming called-number .

codec g711ulaw

fax-relay ecm disable

fax rate disable

fax nsf 000000

fax protocol none

no vad

The "incoming called-number ." was all we were missing from our existing VOIP dial-peers. I believe that forces the VOIP calls to use that dial-peer based on what number is called ( the dot wild-card's it for all calls) and applies whatever fax settings are configured under that dial-peer.

-Chadd

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: