Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Internal Directory Handler?

The good news is that the Directory Handler for this client<br>appears to work fine.<br><br>The bad news is that their appears to be a "internal system"<br>directory handler that comes into play when the user is in<br>the Unity system at the send a message - add name prompts.<br><br>We believe we are having problems with this prompt - in<br>two ways.<br><br>1) If the user selectes characters that result in multiple<br>listings, we find that we can only select the listing just<br>after it is played, and before the next listing is announced<br>by Unity. If we wait to the end and make a selection, we<br>are given the dreaded "invalid option" system reply.<br><br>Is this normal? If so, it seems inconsistant with how Unity<br>seems to handle input - which is fine.<br><br>2) We are able to turn on / off the announcment of an <br>extension within the normal directory handler. Can we also<br>turn this on /off under this "internal system" directory<br>handler?<br><br>Sys Info: Unity 2.4.6.102 / TSP 1.0.28 / CM 3.0.9<br><br>--- Thanks Again! ---<br><br>

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Internal Directory Handler?

The settings on the directory handler used for outside callers to find subscribers by name has nothing to do with subscribers addressing messages to one another... the list options etc... you set on the alpha directory have no effect on the subscriber message addressing conversation.

By default the subscriber addressing options are configured system wide as you describe (i.e. you need to select the user when you hear their name in the list). However, since we were such forward thinking folks here we did make this system wide behavior configurable in the registry should you want to change it.

Head to the registry and go to:

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Active Voice\ Conversations\ 1.0\ Address Searcher\

You’ll see a key there called “Sub Search Results Mode”. By default it’s value is 2 which is the list presentation you describe. You can change the value to 0 or 1 which gets you:

· 0=Pick list--select by the list order number. For example systems with this setting causes the following prompts for subscribers, "...choose the name by number... For Martha Forward, press 1. For Suzy Fortune, press 2...."
· 1=Extension--select by the extension itself. For example systems with this setting causes the following prompts for subscribers, "...enter the extension at any time... For Martha Forward, press 444. For Suzy Fortune, press 534...." This would be a pretty weird setting to use I would think…

You’ll need to restart Unity after you make this change I believe (you can try it… some items are polled on the fly, most are loaded at startup time).

Keep in mind that HKLM\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\Conversations\1.0\Sub Search Results Mode controls what subscribers hear when multiple matches are found when addressing by letter in the subscriber send conversation. This should not be confused with what controls multiple matches in directory by letter in the outside caller conversation. Those options are set on the SA in the Directory Handler pages.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

This may be a rehash of the question, but for the cause
of customer care, I need to verify this. . .

Will case #3 act line case #1 or #2 after this change?

To quote the customer's response to Jeff's recommendation:

"I have reviewed Jeff Lindborg's response several times and
still question its correctness. I will accept it at face
value and will test it this weekend.

There are three places that I know about that Unity does
a directory search by name:

1 - When you call the 4-2000 number which goes directly
to a Unity call handler and indicates that "2" will do a
directory search.

2 - When you are in your own voicemail handler and want
to send a message.

3 - When you are in your own voicemail handler and want
to forward a message.

In the instance of 1 & 2, the search routine will return the
name and ask to hit # if it is correct, while in instance
3, it will only ask for the next name, sending the message
to who ever the search found.

In all three cases, the "pick list" scheme is used when
there is more than one match, i.e. the user is prompted for
each name with single number, not the extension.

Also note that when giving the list for instance 2 & 3, the
prompt includes the user's name while in instance 1, it
does not.

This is the correct behavior.

Using Jeff's example, "for example systems with this setting
causes the following prompts for subscribers, "...choose
the name by number... For Martha Forward (at extension
444), press 1. For Suzy Fortune (at extension 534), press
2...."

If instance 2 is acting as like an "outside caller"
according to Jeff's description, I would also expect it to
not return the extension number.

I have checked the entry, and as Jeff indicates, it is set
to "2". I will test changing this to 0 this weekend and let
you know the results."

--- ----- ---

Anonymous
N/A

What?!? Your customer doesn't take my posts as Gospel? I'm hurt...

Yes, #3 should present the name as an option (if it doesn't, it's another bug I don't see on my test system here). If you search around in here I think you'll find someone else that did the same thing and reported that it worked as desired.

But if it doesn't paint their wagon, let me know and I'll dig into it.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I have updated the registry entry and there does not appear to be any change in the operation of the "forward message" option. When you forward a saved (or new) message, and enter a spelling of a name that produces a single match, the system does not indicate what name was selected.

In addition, If you listen to the prompts, the system prompts for:

1 - add another name
2 - record an introduction
# - forward message
# - message options

If you hit #, the message is forwarded. This behavior is the same when

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Active Voice\ Conversations\ 1.0\ Address Searcher\

key : "Sub Search Results Mode" is 0 or 2

Rodger Miles
US Robotics Network Manager
Rodger_Miles@usr.com

Anonymous
N/A

Oops... I had you guys wrestling with the wrong registry setting for this one... Looks like your customer was right not to trust my first statement! Bad monkey. No doughnut.

installed 2.4.6 and tested it out this morning, here's the right information. The key you want to add here is:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\Conversation\1.0\Address Searcher\"Dual Name Confirmation"

add it as a DWORD (it wont be there by default) and set it to "1". This will force us to always bark out the voice name of the selected user either addressing a new message or forwarding a message.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content